Freezing Computer Problem

MMFC 15:11 03 Jul 10

Hi,

Recently i have been having problems with my laptop freezing when i try to log on/during log on/shortly after log on. The same problem also happens sometimes while just using the laptop (not at any recurring point, just randomly. Particularly it hasn't happened while playing games), but rarely. When it freezes the external (USB) mouse freezes first, but the trackpad can still be used for a second or so, then the whole screen freezes and needs to be hard-reset. Sometimes when it happens a small click can be heard form inside.

Solutions i've tried:

Memtest (RAM)
Windows memory test
CHKDSK on all partitions
Reinstalling windows (formatted C: partition)

Specs:
Processor: Core 2 Duo T8100
RAM: 4GB RAM (Corsair)
HDD: WDC WD2500BEVS-00UST0
GFX: GeForce 8600GT M

Thanks for any help, any more info just ask!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:14 03 Jul 10

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

MMFC 15:19 03 Jul 10

1. Happens when i turn it on after it being off over night (and fan has been recently cleared)

2. just bought a new AC adapter as last one fried, happened before last one fried (i think)

3. Does it ALL the time, even late at night when no one else is awake.

4. Done memtest - no errors

5. Doesn't matter if internet is on or off, still happens

6. I was thinking drivers conflicts, but checked for updates when reinstalled windows and none available.

Also forgot to mention, its works perfectly well in safe mode (networking or not)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:26 03 Jul 10

"its works perfectly well in safe mode"

sounds like conflicting drivers then :0)

MMFC 15:28 03 Jul 10

Agreed BUT there are no updates to the drivers, and it cant be any of the drivers it is supplied with as it didnt start occuring until a year and a half after i bought the thing...

MMFC 15:31 03 Jul 10

Im also pretty sure i hadn't recently installed a new driver when it first happened.

MMFC 17:40 06 Jul 10

I did some tests, and discovered that the problem mainly happens when the LAN or WLAN is on. However, I've installed a new driver for both, and the problem still isn't fixed...

If i rolled the drivers back to the windows basic ones, do you think that would make it stable?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017