Freezing Computer

odc 17:49 05 Jul 05

I have a second Windows 98 SE/Pentium 2 machine which freezes up after it has been switched on for about 30 minutes. I have recently fitted extra Ram and a new graphics card which both appear to work perfectly, overheating springs to mind but there is only one fan which is ituated in the PSU and this seems OK. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

spanneress 18:53 05 Jul 05

If it has only been freezing since you added the hardware yu can bet your bottom ddollar it's that which is causing the problem - and my money would be on the graphics card...you also need to ensure any drivers / software required is the EXACT version!

If it is memory - the amount of beeps you get on start up should differ. Try removing the graphics card and its software and see if the problem still occurs. If not, put it back and try removing the memory.

If neither of these sorts it, you then need to disable everything but the essentuial files at start-up using msconfig and restart - if that works, add one back and restart again until one of the proceesses running at start-up is causing the hang.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…