freezing after pressing start button?? win xp pro

second best 20:54 19 Jun 03

hi, i have been in here b4 with the same problem but it comes and goes, and i am no closer to a reason as to why it happens. i have tried disabling all programs running at start up, at one point it seemed to work, but alas it has started happening again. as well as finding a reason for this i would like to know if anyopne else has had the same problem.

tedz 20:59 19 Jun 03

i don't know if this is the same problem as your's,but i get to the splash screen with the xp home logo and the green blobs in a status bar cascading across the screen and..... well thats about it. not at every boot up but comes and goes.

second best 13:41 20 Jun 03

thnxs tedz. but you're right, that's not at all what i mean lol, thnx anyway :)

second best 00:09 21 Sep 03

this is an old query, which has shown its ugly face again. i have just completed a full clean install of winxp pro and sometimes my comp freezes directly after boot up if i press the start button or the windows key. any ideas.

second best 03:12 21 Sep 03

it seems this problem is not directly linked to the start button, i was just browsing the apple web site and used the back button in explorer, and it froze again. any ideas, anyone :)

Chegs ® 14:37 21 Sep 03

I use XP home,I get similar lockups on 1st boot,which get worse until XP vanishes from my hdd,and I have to use the recovery console to get into windows,this works once or twice(as the lockups are still occurring)and I then have to run a repair of XP,reload all the updates and this gives several days troublefree use,then the lockups return.I have managed to pin down one major conflict with Pinnacles software and DX9,but even staying with DX8.1 my system crashes regularly.I think the SATA hdd driver is probably where more troubles lie,but as I have only 2 drivers to choose from(the install disc that came with the hdd's,or M$ Updates site)and the original isn't a certified driver,so likely to cause probs,and M$ Updated driver seems to lose data whenever the system locks up,as resetting puter clears lockup,but reboot often has to be done via Recovery/Repair option.

second best 14:41 21 Sep 03

lol, well, thnxs for that chegs.err. not sure what to do with that info.

dfghjkl 19:21 21 Sep 03

i get it with my xp pro,have had it for about 6 weeks now,i am sorry i cant help but you are not alone,have you got sp1?have you got DX9?i have both,it could be something to do with them.

Chegs ® 23:11 21 Sep 03

I was just detailing what's in store for you in the future. :-)

second best 16:49 22 Sep 03

great. thnaks :)) resolved, for now, clean install, , 3rd in 2 days. hope this is the one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac