freezing

ramsay29 16:30 14 Apr 05

Thought I would try this again as no responses last time. IE 6 playing up in that it freezes on clicking certain links within websites. One example click here. The old three finger salute reveals site not responding. Same happens in a couple of other sites. Downloaded firefox and everything works ok. Any suggestions re problem with IE6. (sites are ok as have tried them on other pc).

Also have problem in that search facility on the start menu also freezes computer for about 20 seconds. Then doesn't open. Does work however within windows explorer. (windows xp home)

Any ideas folks

Jak_1 17:09 14 Apr 05

Try system restore back to a date when you know it was working properly.

ramsay29 19:39 14 Apr 05

Tried that, but said that it couldn't do it, something about nothing to change.

andrew-196854 19:45 14 Apr 05

i take it your upto date with windows xp sp 2 etc and got antivirus etc...

woodchip 20:01 14 Apr 05

If you have a Full Xp disc click here

Noldi 20:28 14 Apr 05

could be hyjacking?. Run anti spyware.
N

VoG II 20:32 14 Apr 05
  ramsay29 21:15 14 Apr 05

dibblydufuss - I am up to date with sp2, and run norton antivirus and firewall 2004.

woodchip - I do not have full xp disc see below

Noldi - run adaware se and spybot

Vog - downloaded the tool but couldn't use cd. Not sure what I have in that my PC is a HP. Original set up was on partition which I then had to create a DVd
which restores PC to original state. And also created a recovery tools cd.

Haven't used them before so do not know if any of those would have the files that the utility is looking for or if the recovery tools cd would be of any use to repair IE6. Anyone had experience using them. ( a bit wary of making things worse)

Thanks to the above for your replies keep them coming. Since download of firefox been using it with no problems, but am concerned that this IE6 thing and "search" freeze are the start of something nasty. I have only had the PC a few months.

woodchip 22:12 14 Apr 05

IE is a constant Headache, That Why I have not used it for years, I only us it for updates for XP. I was forever mending it I use Netscape7.1

ramsay29 07:27 15 Apr 05

Thanks woodchip. I am going to stick with firefox.
Going back to my original post. has anyone experienced the freezing search facility on the start menu. Another minor irritation but annoying just the same

woodchip 10:24 15 Apr 05

You could try loading IE6 from a old Mag disc if you can get old of one it may go if Custom install is selected. It may just repair it. Updates would then put it back to latest IE fixes

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…