Freezes when installing windows xp pro

keef71 15:54 02 Jun 06

I am trying to re-install windows xp. But the computer freezes during set up. It starts the copying files but freezes at varying percentages. It also seems the longer I leave it off then try the further through the set up it goes but hasnt finished. Anyone got any ideas ?

mattyc_92 15:59 02 Jun 06

Sounds like either overheating or the installation disc is dirty/damaged.
Try cleaning the disc (or lend one from a friend, but use YOUR serial, not theirs) and try that.

If this doesn't help, it is probably overheating. I am afraid I don't have much experience of overheating problems, so maybe someone else could point you in the right direction :-)

Joe R 16:23 02 Jun 06

keef71,

it could also be a problem with your ram. If you have two modules, try removing one, and if still the same, try the other.

keef71 16:32 02 Jun 06

Thanks for your comments guys, i'll check both things when i get home.

Phil930 18:47 02 Jun 06

Mine used to freeze like that on installation. During the format of my harddrive to an NTSC system I continuously locked up on 51%.

My problem was a faulty harddrive, so that might be something to consider.

kjrider 19:40 02 Jun 06

Could be HD trouble. Try re-formattting it, etc.

terryf 21:07 02 Jun 06

Agree with above, I tried a win repair and it froze, used disk manufacturers test progs, said that there were errors, new drive installed.

keef71 13:09 03 Jun 06

Thanks for all your comments, something seems to have worked as it is now fully installed. I removed 1 of the RAM modules, unplugged a recent fan that had beed added, used a new harddrive and left the case open throughout the reinstall and fanned the processor throughout with a copy of PC Advisor (it has many uses!!!) seriously, we were desperate!. 1 of these items or a combination helped. So if any1 else has a similar problem, try this, it worked for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…