Freezer

Alvis 12:56 06 Aug 04

I have a 2 year old Mesh PC 1Gb memory - XP Home updated, Norton Antivirus & Firewall 2002 updated and extended for a further year and Spyware Blaster all loaded. ISP Bulldog 1MB ADSL.

Disc check all OK, etc but if left alone for a bit, the cursor freezes. This also happens sometimes with multi tasking if I'm working with several projects at once. Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work to re-boot (dead keyboard too?). I also use Mailwasher.

This freezing is a fairly recent problem. Norton Utilities sees no problem, no viruses, trojans. I regularly use Cleansweep to clear out internet cache, cookies, etc. Can anyone help - I'm baffled!
Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:20 06 Aug 04

Check power management set up in control panel.

Also check same options in BIOS.

Alvis 17:16 06 Aug 04

Thanks. Power settings seem ok. BIOS - User Defined (Default) Control Paanel - Always On. Have you or anyone else got any further ideas?
Still freezing!

smokingbeagle 17:24 06 Aug 04

click here
Try running System Mechanic. You get a 30 day trial period. Need to use caution when SystemWorks / Utilities offers to correct registry errors automatically - sometimes offers to point to a similarly named file on your PC and this can cause problems.

Alvis 13:08 06 Sep 04

Thanks for advice. Have been trying out System Mechanic. Looks good and picked up a key-logger in my PC.

The freeze problem turned out to be too high a temperature in the case. I'd previously changed the fan for a quieter one and this summer's high temperatures was too great for the fan to cope.

I've changed to a more powerful fan on the CPU, moved the PC away from its recess and no more problems (I hope!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5