Freeze ups!!

jake2 09:21 18 Nov 03

Can anyone suggest how to find the cause of my pc freezing up? Seems to happen when playing games mostly. Have recently installed an adsl modem (which appears to work ok) and usb 2.0 pci card. Apart from that the system has been unchanged for months. O.S. is XP. Removed & re-installed games, no improvement. Have a feeling it is connected to the adsl modem or musicmatch, no idea why! How do I stop this if it is one of these components, without removing them from the pc completely?

Gongoozler 10:13 18 Nov 03

Hi jake2. Most cases of games freezing are due to graphics drivers. Have you checked to see if you have the latest drivers for your graphics card?

Check in Device Manager, Power tab for the USB hub your modem is using.

jake2 11:54 18 Nov 03

"Most cases of games freezing are due to graphics drivers". Have downloaded latest driver, Played game for an hour or so & no probs. So far so good! Every so often I noticed the animation seems to stutter, as it did before locking up, but kept going this time. Thanks Goongoozler. [email protected]@m, cant seem to find device manager! Giz a clue??!!

jake2 12:03 18 Nov 03

Musicmatch jukebox playing in background as I was online. Played 1st song on playlist ok, then as it went to play 2nd song pc froze. No response from keyboard or mouse. Switch off start again. Anybody else had any problems with musicmatch plus? Any idea why it would do this?

jake2 12:05 18 Nov 03

Modem is internal pci

Sorry, you mentioned the modem and USB in the same sentence...

If you have a Windows key to the right of ctrl, hold it down and press 'pause' key. Then Hardware, Device Manager.

It's a good place to look for conflicts with hardware.

Ok, go Start, right click My Computer, Manage, Click on + of Event Viewer, then Application. You should see loads of Errors and Warnings. See if the time of any tally with when the PC froze. Click to select, then Action, Properties.

That will describe the event and give a link to Microsoft. With luck, you may receive an indication of the problem.

jake2 10:04 20 Nov 03

Did as you suggest, found LARGE list of errors & warnings! will need to wait & see if it happens again then check list upon restart! Thanks [email protected]@m thats some list!!

jake2 10:52 20 Nov 03

All the warnings refer to trying to use a fax machine (which i dont have!)failed to initialise any fax devices. Not sure why this would be. A program trying to use a fax? Errors reads "description for event id (1) in source (true vector engine) cannot be found" No link

Check in Control Panel, Printers and Faxes. Maybe the Fax is set as default printer. If it is there and you do not use it, right click and delete it. One less error!

jake2 16:59 20 Nov 03

Fax was not set as default, but deleted it anyway. The event log's were in two categories 1 warnings, relating to the fax problem. And Errors, all relating to "true vector engine" whatever that is, that is the source of the error. The error message has an error code and a source & states that the computer cannot display the message as it does not have the the correct registry info or dll files. Then it gives the name /AUXSOURCE= as a tool to be used from the ms web site to allow the file to be read, following these instructions I get as far as being told that this tool is only available on XP profesional or XP server! So i'm guessing thats as far as i can go?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…