Freeze on Startup

onokeck 12:20 30 Dec 04

Re. my thread of 29/12 at 2326 hrs. I have tried everything I can think of to resolve this problem for my friend, but with no luck at all. When I tried safe mode it froze on WinMe logo page. Same thing when I tried every other choice in the selection listing (four of them). In one case where windows tried to configure start up files I kept getting a repeated message, "Windows could not upgrade the file %1 from %2. %1:%2" What on earth is this?!! Any other suggestions before I use her recovery disk and wipe out everything??

Thanks again,, Casey

ACOLYTE 12:26 30 Dec 04
  ACOLYTE 12:27 30 Dec 04
  onokeck 13:04 30 Dec 04

Acolyte - Thanks for the input. Have printed and reviewed both items. The problem is, if I can't get past the WinMe logo screen (which I can't) it is impossible to try these steps. I have no desktop programs, no toolbar - nothing. The only way to get away from the logo page is to shut down or ctrl-alt-delete and then it attempts a reboot but freezes on logo page again. I'm thinking I will have to use the recovery disk provided by Evesham to enable her to use the pc again. She has some files backed up, but not all. Being a lecturer at APU this is going to create problems, that's why I'm hesitant to take such action. Thanks for your response. CAsey

ACOLYTE 13:07 30 Dec 04

I dont know if you can do this with ME but with 98 you could press the Esc key and the logo screen would go off and you could see what was happening underneath.

onokeck 14:49 30 Dec 04

No. If you press the esc key the pc attempts a re-boot and you are back where you started. Thanks for the help anyway. Casey

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…