Freeze During Games

Insomnia 13:37 24 Jun 06

Recently my comp has been freezing while playing games. I have an Athlon XP 3200 with 512MB of RAM and an integrated graphics card! I've been playing Rome Total War for nearly 6 months without any problems. And if anybody is familiar with the game i can play it on huge settings without any problems so long as everything else is turned down.

However about 10-20 minutes into the game now it freezes forcing me to restart my comp. I've also tried other games (Galactic Civ 2, Civ 3 and Civ 2) but the same thing happens.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Totally-braindead 13:43 24 Jun 06

I would initially try reinstalling the graphics card driver and goto START RUN and type DXDIAG and see if theres any problems there.

If the problems appear after 10-20 minutes with all games then I would also consider overheating as a possability and would check all the fans are ok.

Totally-braindead 13:44 24 Jun 06

Reinstalling DirectX may also help.

vinnyT 14:37 24 Jun 06

Try leaving the side of your case off for a while, if this solves it, it a heat prob.

Hope this helps.

PS. I know you won't do this, but... I called round a friends recently to see if I could solve a similar prob with his pc, before going round I had given him the above advice. On arrival, the pc was dead, nothing, nada.

With the case open, he had been able to feel how hot the gcard was, in his words it could have boiled eggs. The prob was, and I couldn't quite believe it when he told me, he decided to see how fast it could evaporate a couple of drops of water, used his brothers water pistol. He didn't think there would be a prob as he had heard of people using water-cooled pcs. Ho hum.

Insomnia 14:46 24 Jun 06

Downloaded a programme which told me the cpu was overheating. So i opened it up, vacuumed all the dust, and there was a lot of it. Put it back together, started up RTW on the highest settings and... perfect!
Thanks people.

vinnyT 15:29 24 Jun 06

Welcome, weldone.

Totally-braindead 20:04 24 Jun 06

Glad its fixed.

Incidently its not a good idea to run a PC with the case sides off, its ok to do it for a few minutes to check something but leaving the sides off can make the PC run hotter as it disrupts the airflow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…