Freeze cure.

bob308w 12:06 18 Mar 06

My monitor has been freezing frequently for the past few weeks, requiring a restart. I have tried all of the cures kindly suggested on this forum, but to no avail. In frustration, when it froze last night, I thumped the case..., instant cure! The same treatment worked again this morning. This suggests to me a loose contact inside the infernal machine, my question is; Is there anywhere obvious that I should look? faling this, what size hammer should I buy for future remedial treatment?

ACOLYTE 12:12 18 Mar 06

I wouldnt advise opening the monitor and messing with the components,you could get a nasty shock even if its not powered.If it is a faulty/lose part then it would be best to take it to a repair shop.

When you say thump the case do you mean the case of the PC or the case of the monitor

bob308w 12:22 18 Mar 06

I was referring to the PC case, this being the thumpee, and checking this for loose components, not the monitor.

ACOLYTE 12:25 18 Mar 06

Ok,it was just the first part that made me think it was the monitor you were thumping,lol.
You could check all the fans are working as a first step,then make sure all the connections are firmly in place.

Pineman100 12:25 18 Mar 06

I agree with Acolyte about the dangers of poking about inside a CRT monitor. But before you take a big hammer to it, I suggest that you try the monitor on a friend's computer to see whether it still gives problems. If it does, then you know that it is definitely at fault. If it doesn't, you should maybe check the connection of the monitor to the computer - see if there are any broken, bent or loose pins (I know that your success with whacking the monitor seems to exclude this, but the shock could just wiggle the connection a bit).

I think the problem may be your graphics card. It's either not sitting correctly in it's slot or it's on it's way out. It could also be that you need to update the grapics card drivers.

I would suggest that you update the drivers and see how that goes. If that doesn't cure the problem, disconnect your PC from the mains, open the case and gentle push the graphics card to make sure that it is sitting correctly in it's solt.

bob308w 13:03 18 Mar 06

OK, thanks for the suggestion, will try that later, have to down load the dog at the moment.

bob308w 17:24 18 Mar 06

Yep, that sems to have cured it, well at least untill the next time! Many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced