freeze

civicr 11:15 10 Apr 08

Hi all ,
When my pc loads , it gets to the desk top and the tool bar loads but then nothing else happens , it just shows a egg timer , click on the start button on the tool bar and nothing . You have to switch the pc off at the power point . I have Started in safe mode and gone back to a point when it was working properly and everything is ok , when i switch it back on it the next day its back to freezing up .
Any ideas.
Im using xp home.
Thanks ,
civicr

RobCharles1981 11:18 10 Apr 08

For a general idea use the "Search Forum" at the top to search for similar problems.

Gordon999 12:35 10 Apr 08

Civicar,

You could have a virus? But you could also have some faulty hardware or software as it works fine once you have gone back to an old restore point.

You could press F8 during bootup and Choose Load Last Good onfiguration. This will will load up from the last time you booted up successfully.

Have you installed any new hardware recently?

You could also go into setup when booting disabled your graphics card and enable the built in graphics adapter on your motherboard.

RobCharles1981 12:48 10 Apr 08

You could have some bad ram

Use click here and test for bad ram.

When did you last clean out the insides of your case? You will need to get a couple of Air Cans do blast out the dust.

Another good one also is to do a "Chkdsk/R"

Assuming you have XP as your O/S Set your Bios Boot Order to CD as first Boot Device and save (F8) and place the XP Disk in your CD Drive. Press a Key to Boot from CD A moment or so latter you will come to a screen Select "Repair XP in Recovery Console" do that and you will need to log onto Administrator once that is done.

do CHKDSK /R And it will check Your HD for Errors it will also correct them as well.

When did you last do any house keeping - What Antivirus and Firewall and Spyware Programs do you have??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…