freeware norton utilities

the old man 23:09 02 Jul 04

is there a freeware alternative which does a similar job to norton utilities where it will find and fix problems on the computer. N/U did a good job for me in the past but don't have it any more.

VoG II 23:33 02 Jul 04

What problem(s) do you have?

If your computer is performing OK you don't need any scareware to tell you that you have problems.

Dan the Confused 23:39 02 Jul 04

Don't know of a freeware alternative but a good shareware alternative is TuneUp Utilities 2004. You can download a 30-day free trial version of it from click here

By 'find and fix problems' do you mean a registry cleaner? What Windows version do you have?

the old man 23:41 02 Jul 04

done all the usual things, tidying up h/d, clearing temp files etc. but system still running, to me, noticeabley slower over the last few days.
athlon xp2000+, 512 ram, fx5200, 100gb h/d

VoG II 23:51 02 Jul 04

click here for an online scan.

From the symptoms that you describe I would suspect spyware. Do a scan with Ad-aware click here

the old man 00:02 03 Jul 04

have ad aware, spybot, spywareblaster, avg lite (scanned earlier), all the above up to date. don't know whether it is a reg. cleaner i need just a tuner or something along the lines of n/u.

Dan the Confused 00:34 03 Jul 04

Give my link a go then.

'Find and fix problems' in Norton Utilities is just it's term for a registry cleaner (TuneUp Utilities has a good one too).

Freeware registry cleaners (and general cleanup utilities):

XP or 2000: RegScrubXP click here

Other: EasyCleaner click here

Bear in mind that slow downs can be caused by all manner of things.

Dan the Confused 00:48 03 Jul 04

Actually, I've got that a bit wrong (just checked). Norton Windoctor is the registry cleaner but it also has System Doctor, Unerase Wizard and Disk doctor under the Find and Fix Problems heading. Give my suggestions a try anyway though.

the old man 01:19 03 Jul 04

have used both links provided by dan the confused and vog and by the heck my system was in a right mess. security settings wrong, i.e. cache miles too big, over 800+ problems identified by tuneup utils. will do autofixes and monitor over next couple of days for any problems. Many thanks fellas for your suggestions and help.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:23 03 Jul 04

These are the only two that you will need...Regseeker (delete all it finds as it backs up deletions)click here and CCleaner from click here.

These are the two that I use the most to remove crud from computers.

G

ps with Regseeker use the histories tab to delete all IE URLS and the history cache, there are usually thousands of files within. ;-))

david.h 13:50 03 Jul 04

click here

the link shows a beta 30 day free trial of nortons new 2005 antivirus download. released only yesterday 2/7/04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…