Freeware MP3 Editors

Pesala 11:27 25 Apr 03

I downloaded and used MP3Directcut 1.3 to amplify some MP3 talks and edit the Track details. It worked fine for me, but after reading a negative review I wondered whether there might be something better available.

My expectations are modest. All I need is something that will amplify and edit MP3 files without increasing the file size. If it can reduce file sizes a bit, and convert from other audio files that will be a bonus. For recording I use Audacity, but that hugely increases file sizes on exporting.

A search of previous threads only revealed MP3Directcut. There are two pages of MP3 programs on the Downloads area, but which one is best and also Freeware?

ton 12:13 25 Apr 03

Have you looked at CDex click here lots of options, free and very good.

Pesala 12:33 25 Apr 03

Thank you for that. I will give it a try, after I have had a nap, and post here again later to report on how I got on.

Paranoid Android 13:03 25 Apr 03

If you have Nero Burning ROM then you probably also have Nero Wave Editor which is very useful.

Marvin

Pesala 14:29 25 Apr 03

I have the above CD software. No music editor included as far as I know. I will try CDex shortly.
I must do some real work first.

The Sack 14:33 25 Apr 03

Nero Wave editor has come with Nero for over a year so maybe you need to update Nero?

leo49 14:43 25 Apr 03

What is this 'better' that you're seeking? You say what you're using worked fine and did the job, so what else do you want to do?

Pesala 15:05 25 Apr 03

It seemed fine to me, but I am new to MP3 editing, and only use it for talks, which might not be as demanding as music.

Before adding it to my list of recommended Freeware, I did a Google search for it and came up with this review: click here

I wouldn't want to recommend to others what might be an inferior program, if there is something much better available. Freeware is usually fairly basic, but some is surprisingly good. Those who work a lot in one particular field have usually tried dozens of programs, and therefore know what to look for. I haven't a clue what to expect from an MP3 editor. If it does the job, it is good enough for me, but it might be doing quite a bad job, e.g. degrading the file on saving it, and I wouldn't notice, whereas a musician obviously would.

Hence my question.

Pesala 16:37 25 Apr 03

Sack: I am using Roxio CD Creator.

Ton: I installed CDex, but it looks like it only works with Audio CDs. I couldn't see any option to open an MP3 file to edit it.

So no progress to report.

canard 17:33 25 Apr 03

click here Audacity [2nd down on page] is Ok for editing MP3s.
I can't remember if it will slim files down but think it does. If not click here Mr Spoon's DB poweramp does everything you can imagine to music files.

Pesala 18:28 25 Apr 03

I already have Audacity, which is great for voice recording, but seems to expand MP3 on export. Perhaps I have the wrong settings somewhere.

Anyway, DP Poweramp looks more powerful. I will report back on how I get on with it.

Thanks, everybody.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5