Freeserve ISP hacked???

Mino 17:46 13 Aug 03

Today I decided to take a closer look at my firewall data, after the spread of the MSBlaster virus. I have not been affected, as my firewall is working and my anti-virus is up to date.

Most of the attacks were coming from my ISP's IP addresses and DNS servers, so I contacted them to ask if they had any issues affecting customers.

The Customer Service rep informed me that they had been having trouble with hackers breaking into their systems, and that many customers were experiencing difficulty in connecting to the internet or retrieving e-Mail due to this.

Personally, I have suffered no such problems, but have been asked to post this thread to see if the statement was true. So, any Freeserve customers out there with problems?

minter 18:02 13 Aug 03

Yup!!!

Just formatted my computer and got everything put back in - except anti-virus - went on the web (Freeserve Anytime) to check something and, Bingo!!! My computer switches off every 15-30 secs.

After trying to clear the problem dug out my old trusty 98 and paid a visit to this website.

Have checked "System Shutdown" on pcadvisor's helproom and am now in the process of trying to sort it out.

powerless 19:27 13 Aug 03

s?...

No.

On Anytime, ISDN adn through a family Router. I am getting delays and site(s) unavailable due to DNS error, normally a refresh is sufficient but quite often it requires a switch to a modem dialup connection, this does not seem to be affected but is annoying as I have paid for Anytime - perhaps I should send the hackers the phone bill?

HTH

mammak 20:00 13 Aug 03

Wim xp pro Freeserve Anytime, no probs downloaded the MS Patch, AV working, Firewall enabled.Mammak

Mino 20:03 13 Aug 03

Powerless, don't be so negative about the responses!

In what could be described as a poll - this poll shows that 50% of Freeserve customers are having difficulty!!!!!!!

I'll let this run a little, just out of interest!

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:18 13 Aug 03

As I have oft repeated before...you are NOT being hacked. Home computers have no interest for hackers as they contain utter drivel.

The 'alerts' that you are getting are from servers and routers talking to each other. When you connect to the net you may have to go through 50 or more servers and routers. These all handshake each other every few seconds or less, to see if you are still online. The alerts that you get are the result of these handshakes (which is why so many are from ISPs), their servers need to know your IP address so that they can send you images and pages from websites.

Turn off any alerts that you may have and dump/delete the logs as they are utterly useless. Freeserve is having problems at the moment so just relax, chill out and tick this thread.

G

Mino 20:26 13 Aug 03

Gandalf, I agree entirely with you. I just posed the question based on Freeserve's own CS team informing me that they - the ISP - were hack attack victims.

Time to put an end to this one then.

Bandy 09:13 14 Aug 03

Gandalf

There may well be utter drivel on your computer howeever I would assure you that is not the case for many others, including myself.

Also given the number of queries on this site concerning Access, Xcel and the like many computer users are utilising their machines in quite a professional manner.

Drivel is most certainly not the correct word to use regarding the contents, although I would agree that the contents are of no interest to hackers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…