Freeserve and general modem connection q

Grambo 19:52 13 Feb 03

Im on FS Anytime, m/c is 1.8GHz, 256 Mb, 40GB, HSP56 modem, WinXP. My problem is connection speed. Sometimes when trying to connect to websites, the icons showing download are hardly flashing to each other (if you see what I mean). Other times its running fine. Is there such a thing as a 'bad' connection. Its very hit or miss. Or could it be a FS problem.

graham 19:57 13 Feb 03

This happens at this time of day when the system is very busy. Compare your experiences at different times of day.

Grambo 20:05 13 Feb 03

So you think thats all it is? It is strange that when i disconnect and try again (like now) its fine. This is at 7-8 in the evening for future ref for anyone who maybe interested in thread, so i reckon u could be right G. Begs the question, shouldnt the servers be able to cope.

PA28 20:21 13 Feb 03

I have the same problem on Anytime. Connection speed is usually 45333bps (sometimes 46667) but downloads can be very s l o w. Makes me think that it's the net in it's widest sense that's causing the problems, but then since Freeserve changed their dial up numbers I've found that the service has gone downhill in terms of dropped connections for no reason and general reliability. In fact the only improvment that I've noted is that it's rare to get the engaged tone these days when trying to log on, so I suppose they're getting somewhere....

Grambo 20:37 13 Feb 03

Also noticed that since changing from FS Hometime, I get dc well before the 2 hour cut sometimes. Again hit and miss. Oh well.

badboy 20:46 13 Feb 03

i have the same probs wi aol but i tell u what it is i just changed numbers also and now finding it harder its so people will go broadband with gettin harder with your norm as in 56k

Grambo 21:02 13 Feb 03

Interesting theory, coz i thought of that very same thing aswell. How easy would it be to slow things down while having a bb offer thrown at you. Cynical pair arent we.

Grambo 21:15 13 Feb 03

Interesting theory, coz i thought of that very same thing aswell. How easy would it be to slow things down while having a bb offer thrown at you. Cynical pair arent we.

badboy 21:24 13 Feb 03

well watch this space see when everyone starts going bb it will get better after they think they have everyone changed that wants to im waitin as it will come cheaper as in the same price as normal

Podsville 21:32 13 Feb 03

I used to be on FS, dog slow downloads, frequent dropped connections, usually dropped connection moments after logging on, having to try many times to get connected in the first place. I packed it in and changed to BT (if you cant beat em, join em ) Now hardly ever loose connection and can usually log on every time. Also faster downloads. MAKES ONE WONDER!!
Food for thought.

Grambo 22:41 13 Feb 03

Im full of daft q's, but If i was to switch to BT, would I have to sacrifice FS email addy, or could I just access it when connected to BT

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…