Freeserve Connection Kit

Big Elf 10:45 11 Jun 03

I assume everyone using Freeserve have now had the email telling them they MUST install the new dialler software to allow them to connect to the internet. Apparently this software, apart from placing an icon in the system tray, dials another number if the first number is engaged. Excuse me if I'm being a bit suspicious here but my current connection settings are already set to automatically dial one of 3 other numbers (supplied by Freeserve) if the first number is engaged. I phoned the Freeserve helpline and asked if I could have the new numbers so that I could set them up myself but they stated that I MUST install the software to connect in future.

Has anyone any views or greater knowledge about this?

Belatucadrus 11:14 11 Jun 03

When I downloaded the connection bumph it came in two parts, so instead of running as suggested I saved to disk, all the first part does is update the number on the OE dialler, the second part installs the freeserve dialler software. I have used the first part but the second sits in my download file unused.

Big Elf 11:20 11 Jun 03

In the interests of research I installed both parts of the software. Curiously the number (and alternates) I use to dial up had not changed. Maybe I'm being a bit paranoid about this but if the numbers are to be changed then based on this experience Freeserve will use the software to install them while I'm not looking. Is this classed as a trojan or is it spyware?

I uninstalled the software but some of the minor settings that it had introduced were not removed e.g. the modem speaker was enabled (I disable it) and the 'Would you like to diconnect...' box was different. Fortunately I had created a restore point before installing the 'software' and was able to get back my original settings.

swanson2 11:31 11 Jun 03

I installed the Freeserve connection kit as requested and without question?

I now find that when I log on to the Net I can access I.E 6 OK but if I use the envelope icon to access my mail I am disconnected.

If I log on via Outlook Express however everything works fine and I can go across to Internet Explorer and with no problems.

I asked the "experts" at Freeserve "why does everything work OK when I start up via Outlook Express but not if I start up via IE6" - they didn't have a clue and suggested I would just have to live with it!

Mp PC has an AMD 1700XP processor, 512 MB of RAM and is running Windows XP, Internet Exlorer 6 and Outlook Express 6.

Is it now time to move on from Freeserve?

Any ideas would be gratefully received!

Big Elf 11:39 11 Jun 03

If you're running XP or ME then, based on my experience, a system restore should do it. If not then an uninstall might do it but is not guaranteed. I don't consider it a minor annoyance by the way.

Experts... I don't think so. They should have tested it properly, their answer is unacceptable and they should be working on a fix.

Gary 11:53 11 Jun 03

...was that fact that all this software would do is very very occasionally dial an alternative number, but it would be running all the time on my computer. Although it might only be small, so are the other background "system tray" applications I run, but too many of them slow the system down. On top of this, the system is completely redundnant because I have been given 4 alternative numbers by the helpdesk already and am quite capable of choosing a different one on the few occassions I get an engaged tone!

I phoned Freeserve and pointed this out, but they suggested that the ordinary numbers would be withdrawn soon and if I didn't have the connection kit I would not be able to access the service. For this reason I've switched to another service provider. Perhaps that fact that this isn't one of the UKs biggest will make it less likely to try and control me!!

rawprawn 13:04 11 Jun 03

Outlook Dial Up Problem See if this helps, I had trouble with Outlook (not outlook express )& I think it may be a similar problem, your outlook express is still dialling the old number & need changing We will all have to change to their new dialup kit as they are going to phase out all the old numbers

Djohn 13:15 11 Jun 03

I made a comment on this issue in two threads a couple of weeks back. You are correct in saying that the present numbers will be phased out as the connection kit is taken on board by all Freeserve members.

AOL do this now, but give you access to all the numbers, you can then set them in the best order for dialling as you wish. The difference with Freeserve, the last 4 digits are starred out. To stop you from making a choice? j.

rawprawn 13:15 11 Jun 03

Outlook Dial Up Problem - posted by rawprawn on Sat, 07.06.2003 Helproom 07.06.03 : 11:28 Sorry that was supposed to be alink but it didn't work. If this one doesn't at least you will know where to find it

rawprawn 13:45 11 Jun 03

I removed the icon in the system tray using msconfig, I have not noticed any difference in performance, but I didn't like it sitting there all the time like a spy.

Big Elf 13:51 11 Jun 03

My suspicion is that it's some form of spyware. As has been mentioned previously why have something like this for the very occasional times that the line is engaged. In fact Freeserve make money if you can't connect by forcing you to phone their expensive help line for advice/another number.

I do also appreciate that perhaps I'm being a bit paranoid about this. It wasn't helped by the unhelpfullness of the help line operator who refused to tell me exactly what the software does only that I HAD to use it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…