freeserve broadband connection

over the weekend, i've been unable to connect to the internet. the lights on my modem show it's working ok and the icon on my taskbar shows it's ready to connect. i enter my password/username and it accepts this. however it then comes up with "cannot connect with the server". when i go into network connections it shows that my broadband connection is enabled. when i click on my desktop icon again, a box appears stating something like "a program is trying to connect to pop3.freeserve, which connection do you want to use" it then asks me for my password & username again. when i type these in again, "cannot find server" appears again. when i try and shut off my pc a first end program box appears for "explorer.exe" and then one for "connection tray" - so these programs must be running. phoned freeserve £££££££ they are no help and say it's my dial up connections. i've looked at these, tried dozens of combinations and still can't get in even though as i've said it shows that my connection is enabled. any advice would be appreciated.

Big Elf 09:18 04 Aug 03

Did you receive an email from 'admin@(your user name).freeserve.co.uk' with an attachment 'message.zip' which you then opened and then opened the 'message.html' file that was contained within it?

No (nt)

Big Elf 10:18 04 Aug 03

I'm not on broadband but my freeserve settings are 'pop.freeserve.net' rather than 'pop3'. Could it be that?

will try tonight. thanks Big Elf (nt)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…