freeserve

Liza 10:46 09 Sep 06

My sister uses Freeserve and cannot now log on to join the new Wanado (or whatever) because her os is windows 95. She pays I think about £4.50 pm to use for 2 hours or something which is enough to do her emails. Will she pay the same amount if she joins the new setup. I will of course give her my old 98SE. Does anyone know. Liza.
P.S. I was advising her to buy a new computer because hers is about 8/9 years old. I was looking at Dell computers and find that although Dell say one of their dimensions ones is £299, they are not, if monitor etc are added making it about £450. Does anyone know if there is anything cheaper.

Belatucadrus 11:14 09 Sep 06

I don't see why a W95 PC shouldn't connect, as the internet connection is dependant on a suitable browser and TCP/IP protocol support, which isn't really dependant on OS ( I know you can't use IE6 on W95, but doubt this is relevant ). The operating system itself shouldn't matter.
The Dell Dimension 3100c system is available with screen for £299, but you have to remember to adjust the warranty to "Collect & Return, 90 Days Service only [Included in Price]" They default the warranty to a more expensive option. The Dell™ 15" Value Flat Panel monitor is included in the price. click here

spuds 11:21 09 Sep 06

Liza--It looks like your sister is perhaps on the old Freeserve dial-up service. If she joins a new 'set-up' then the charges will be the price agreed with the new contract. Dial-up is rather expensive compared to broadband, but to use broadband, improvements are needed.

Personally I would look into purchasing a new computer system, because a computer of 8/9 years old running W95 or W98SE is now very old,and perhaps economically unreliable compared to much better products that are available nowadays.

You will find that Dell do have a number of offers, even on the same model. Checking newspaper advertisement, internet promotions and voucher or code discounts can result in some good savings. To gain the benefits of Dell savings, you must know your way around Dell's pricing methods, which is not easy for the first timer. I would suggest that a visit to PC World would offer an ideal low budget package, with a price possibly compatible to that of Dell.

By the way, Freeserve was sold to Wannado who have now sold the business to the Orange network.Before transferring to a new Orange account, check that the old Freeserve email address can be transferred as well. If it cannot, then a new email address and notification of such may be required.

rodriguez 11:45 09 Sep 06

If you change to broadband, it's a good idea to get a new computer as a 8 or 9 year old system just isn't secure enough. Microsoft will only continue support and security updates for Windows 2000 and XP, which makes your old system unsafe on broadband because of all the online threats there are. I also don't think ZoneAlarm or many other firewalls will run on 95 and if they can, I'm sure there won't be updates available. The cheap Dell one will do all she needs and you might even be able to buy a more basic system for even less. Just make sure it can run Windows XP with Service Pack 2 and you should be ok.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:56 09 Sep 06

Have been with Freeserve for years, your old Dialup Username and Password should still work with Orange.
Its only the name that's changed.

click here I know the Dialup PayAsYouGO states 98.

but as stated above thereis no eason why it should't work on Windows 95.

Apart from a good excuse to get a new PC :0)

Liza 11:59 09 Sep 06

Belatucadrus, spuds, rodriguez

Thanks to you all for your advice. We will shop around. By the way Belatucadrus do you know my sister rang one of those £1 a minute caller and obtained that advice to change to 98. She felt she spent at least 10 minutes! I was furious when she could have phoned me. Liza

rodriguez 12:08 09 Sep 06

Whoever charged your sister about £10 to be told to change to 98 should be pushed off a very long pier with a very long pole :-P 98 support has been discontinued and it's now necessary to run XP and the support people she phoned should have known this. Next time tell her to phone you instead ;-)

Belatucadrus 12:36 09 Sep 06

There are a few too many technical support people who only read from a script, if W95 isn't mentioned they assume it doesn't work. The only technical reason I can come up with would be a new modem that hasn't got W95 drivers, as many manufacturers can't be bothered to make them any more. That's where broadband problems occur as the ISPs tend to supply USB modems and getting W95 to support them is between nightmarish and impossible. Other than that W95 is as dial up internet capable as it ever was.
Not sure about the upgrade to W98 advice, true it's no longer supported, but with a suitable AV and firewall it's still a good OS and trying to shoehorn XP onto an old W95 system, could well be an exercise in futility.

Liza 01:26 16 Sep 06

Fruit Bat /\0/\, rodriguez, Belatucadrus

Thank you for yours. I visited my sister and you were right there was no problem with win 95. All that was required to get her computer to log on to Internet was to delete old tel no. from Internet Options and enter new Orange no. I myself always had a lot of time for Windows 95. It hardly ever let me down as OS's after it. Liza

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:27 16 Sep 06

Glad youv'e sorted it :0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now