FreeNet isp

greybeard 21:48 24 Oct 06

Can anyone tell me if freeNet changed its name, or ceased trading ?

It was providing a free web and mail server dial up( you only paid a local call charge to connect)back in the 90's.

John

Stuartli 21:54 24 Oct 06

Its web page address has a Invalid Host Name.

greybeard 21:57 24 Oct 06

er, yes. That's why I'm asking.

Technotiger 22:27 24 Oct 06

It opened up ok for me ...

click here

Stuartli 22:43 24 Oct 06

The link I tried was co.uk as provided by Google - normally it corrects URLs.

What's more the words: "Now conducting long-distance business meetings, training sessions, and your many other reasons for conferencing just got better" were included on the co.uk links.

greybeard 09:27 25 Oct 06

Sorry guys, that's a .com address.

I should have made it clear that their address was freenet.co.uk , but as I said, it was a mail and web server. I used it when on only a dial up connection here, and now have a friend in the same position - no broadband.
I suggested they try freenet, which was a good reliable site, (located in the Portsmouth,UK area I think)but we can't track them down.

Technotiger 09:38 25 Oct 06

Yeah, tried the .co.uk your right - not available.

Stuartli 10:15 25 Oct 06

But as I've already pointed out, the co.uk net link on Google provided the same lines about the nature of the business as the .com address.

Com, of course, is commercial/business although, in many cases, it will take you to US websites.

Technotiger 10:21 25 Oct 06

Hi, all I got via Google with the co.uk was the usual 'Page cannot be displayed'.

greybeard 10:24 25 Oct 06

If I change the question slightly to "did anyone use freenet.co.uk when it changed name or ceased trading ?"

greybeard 10:51 25 Oct 06

Just found phone coop, so I'm looking at that instead.
Problem resolved. I hope !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…