Freeing up System Resources

Andy Ush 16:13 30 Oct 03

I keep haveing a problem with my pc in that the longer i am on the internet or on the pc the slower my pc gets. This does not only occur when I have a number of programs open, it occasionally happens when i have just the one program open (in the taskbar). can anyone tell me how I can free up system rescources as I have checked and seen that they are down to 56% after booting up. I think this may be the problem although I am not sure.

I currently run Win 98(SE) with all available patches, on PIII 550hz, with 6 gig of a 20 gig hard drive remaining. I have Norton Systemworks with up to date AV and a Mcafee firewall (latest version. I have a dedicated graphics card and soundcard. I also have 512MB of memory in 2x256MB sticks.

how much of systemworks do you have running? it might be best to do without having cleansweep running all the time and i'd recommend not bothering with disk doctor.

woodchip 16:22 30 Oct 03

Check what is running by going to Start\Run type msconfig click startup tab, If you are running any MSOFFICE items remove all the ticks for them you do not need them as they can be run manually remove any other you can do without but leave system tray running. if you have any probs just revers the above

woodchip 16:27 30 Oct 03

PS Do not have any Norton start with computer all these can be run as and when you require them other than Anti Virus

A_World_Maker 16:30 30 Oct 03

Its a common problem with windows, resource hoggin. Microsoft products are as guilty as others. Office leaves bits of its self behind after you close, 'just in case you want to open it again in the near future'. Try using a memory optimiser, at least that should kick all those dll's left behind.
Another potential problem could be memory leakage, which requires reboots after quite a period of time.
Try here click here+
regards Andrew

Andy Ush 16:49 30 Oct 03

So far so good. Speedier responses than anyone could have anticipated. I have tried what you suggested and will send a follow up tonite

Andy Ush 22:50 30 Oct 03

I have tried all that has been suggested and the pc is working a lot better. Thanks for all your help.

woodchip 22:55 30 Oct 03

Glad that you are Happy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…