Freeing up space in hard drive

Khyron 16:56 22 Jun 09

I am currently trying to free up some space in my hard drive on my laptop (it's only 40gb)and I'm running XP SP3. I have just received the Java runtime environment 6.0 update 14, can I delete the previous updates in add or remove programs? Now that I'm running SP3, (MSXML 6.0 KB933579) can I delete MSXML 4.0 SP2 updates KB927978, KB936181, KB954430 or is it necessary to keep these. I don't want to delete anything that is vital to running the system and I've already removed programs that I don't use or need anymore.........any advice would be appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:37 22 Jun 09

Leave the updates alone.

Clear out all temporary files and folders -- use Crap Cleaner click here

Turn off or reduce system restore click here

Remove update restore points from the windows folder.
Use explore to look in the windows folder all files in blue starting with $can be deleted to save space.

DieSse 22:02 22 Jun 09

Wise Disk Cleaner will do a better job of cleaning unnecessary files, including Windows update files.

click here

You can certainly uninstall older Java updates - I did mine some time ago, and now check them occasionally. There are several Java modules with different names - only delete older ones of each spewcific name.

Khyron 01:27 25 Jun 09

Thanx guys....that did the trick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…