Freeing my PC from its network connection

jharyyz 21:53 20 Jan 07

I brought my PC, running Windows 2000 Professional, home to network with my own PC. The problem is, it still thinks it's connected to the network at work -- asks me for my username and password, then tells me it can't connect me. I tried F8 at startup, but no matter what option I choose, it still forces me to login to the network.

Is there a way to get rid of this connection? (Please to fairly specific in your instructions -- not exactly the most technically savvy user here...)

Mr Mistoffelees 21:58 20 Jan 07

Try this:- Open Control Panel, from there, open Network Connections. In the window that opens, find the unwanted connection in the list and delete it. If you cannot delete it, try right clicking and choosing Disable.

Mr Mistoffelees 21:59 20 Jan 07

The above is for Windows XP, I ma assuming it will be the same in Windows 2000.

woodchip 22:01 20 Jan 07
  jharyyz 22:06 20 Jan 07

Mr. M -- thanks, but that's the problem -- I can't get to Control Panel, or anywhere beyond the network login screen. V. frustrating...

Strawballs 22:08 20 Jan 07

If it is a works machine then you will proberbly need to log on as administrator to achieve this, I know that all the machines where I work run win 2000 and unless IT log on as Admin you can't do anything.

jharyyz 22:12 20 Jan 07

Wood, thanks, but as soon as the DSRM finishes checking my disk, it immediately returns me to the network login -- no option to do anything.

jharyyz 22:15 20 Jan 07

Straw, I do/did have admin rights, but only if I can login to the network -- and it just won't let me.

jharyyz 22:36 20 Jan 07

Lads, I tried connecting the olf computer to the internet -- and it let me sign in to the network!!!! So I'll delete the network connection and see what happens.

Thanks for all your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5