FREECOM EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE. USB2?

rotormota 19:54 19 Oct 04

I bought a Freecom EHD the other day & plugged it into my pc which has 6 USB2 ports but a message appeared saying the high speed device had not been connected to a high speed hub & to please use one of the ones listed. The list included my six USB2 ports of which 5 were occupied anyway.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

PS The Freecom is connected & working fine despite this issue.

spikeychris 20:15 19 Oct 04

You do have at least service pack 1 installed don't you?

spikeychris 20:28 19 Oct 04

If you do have 2P1 or 2 installed then type this into run..

devmgmt.msc

Hit enter and under Universal Serial Bus Controllers Right-click the USB 2.0 EHCI Host controller, and then click Update Driver.

TomJerry 20:30 19 Oct 04

If one with usb 1, then all go for usb 1 if you use a hub.

If you use ports in motherboard, they are usually in pair, so one go usb1, another also go usb 1.

There are only a few usb hub models in the world which have true usb2 ability, i.e. mix usb1 with usb2.

Dorsai 20:31 19 Oct 04

Try swapping a device you know works, but not the modem (dont want to get disconnected from net) into the port you tried the HDD in. If this works, then put the HDD in the port now vacant..

Idea, Shot in dark.

mahaps a lack of power on the root hub that had the free port??

spikeychris 20:41 19 Oct 04

TomJerry your comment "There are only a few usb hub models in the world which have true usb2 ability, i.e. mix usb1 with usb2." You have lost me with that, what do you mean?

TomJerry 20:50 19 Oct 04

what I meant is mix usb1 with usb2 devices make all go usb1. Truely usb2 share should make usb2 work usb2 even mixed with usb1.

spikeychris 21:05 19 Oct 04

Hi-Speed and Low-Speed USB devices can coexist nicely on USB 2.0 hubs.

rotormota 21:06 19 Oct 04

Spikey, I did what you said but there are none listed as USB 2.0 EHCI Host controller?
Cheers.

TomJerry 11:31 20 Oct 04

yes, they are but all work on low speed

spikeychris 14:22 20 Oct 04

TomJerry I can see where you are comming from, its the same with RAM, as in it defaults to the lowest speed. However I was under the impression that you may mix low-speed, full-speed, and high-speed devices on a single hub without reducing the performance of the higher speed devices. Obviously the computer port must be 2.0. The hub was designed to not penalize users mixing older and newer technology. The USB2 hubs use a TT controller that allows each device its own bus.

click here and see if this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…