Freecom external hard drive failure.

RoA 20:54 21 Sep 09

I have a Freecom 250Gb external hard drive which has stopped working. It is recognised with correct drive letter but I am informed that it requires formatting. I have tried alternative cables, usb ports etc. to no avail. Has anyone any idea what I can try? PC is running XP Home. Any help or advice gratefully received.

Audio~~Chip 21:52 21 Sep 09

Have you got any documents or back up on it that you carn't loose ? if yes then I carn't advise but if you can Formatt it then I can. Funny, I had the same problem with a new Freecom 500GB Ext HDD last month. My model was the Black one with a designer name tag on it.

If you connect the HDD to the machine and turn on, then right click on My Computer and select from the drop down menu "Manage". Then, select Disk Management.

Then click on the right hand side where you see your Freecom HDD so its hightlighted and then select Format. Accept all the defualt and cary out the format on the Freecom HDD

I found out from Freecom a number of the drives were badly formatted when being shipped. You may have not realised but the actuall size of the drive would show lower than 465GB if it was a 500GB drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:10 21 Sep 09

Often caused by disconnecting or powering down while the drive is still be written to, the boot rcord will be corrupt.

If you can afford t lose the data on it the reformat, if not then you need to run some recovery software.

PCInspector click here
Easyrecovery click here
Testdisc click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac