FREECOM CLASSIC AXTERNAL DVD RW-CODE 10

s-256399 12:31 21 Apr 06

I HAVE A FREECOM CLASSIC EXTERNAL DVD RW WHICH HAS WORKED FINE FOR JUST OVER A YEAR, BUT NOW HAS CODE 10 IN DEVICE MANAGER, HAVE DONE ALL THE UNINSTALLING AN RE-INSTSALLING ETC WITH NO CHANGE HAVE ALSO TRIED ON SECOND PC BUT HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM, IS IT BROKEN OR IS THERE SOMETHING ELSE I CAN TRY? I HAVE XP PRO ON BOTH COMPUTERS.

Totally-braindead 13:38 21 Apr 06

Only suggestion I have is join the support forum or try emailing them, heres the website click here or try this perhaps click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:50 21 Apr 06

MS Explanation

Code 10

If the device has a "FailReasonString" value in its hardware key, that string is displayed as the error message. The driver or enumerator places this registry string value there. If there is no "FailReasonString" in the hardware key, the following generic error message is displayed:

This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. (Code 10)

Try upgrading the device drivers for this device.

Solution button: Update Driver

To resolve this error code, make sure the device is connected to the computer correctly. For example, make sure all cables are plugged in fully and that all adapter cards are properly seated. Follow the suggested solution button and update the device driver. It may be possible to remove the device and redetect it using the Add New Hardware wizard.

==================================================
If USB2

Uninstall ALL USB root Hubs and reboot with Drive plugged in and powered up, let XP find new hardware and install the drivvers.

If this doesn't work then you need to update drivers for the type of USB chipset your using eg. VIA

s-256399 22:12 21 Apr 06

have done all of that except last line

If this doesn't work then you need to update drivers for the type of USB chipset your using eg. VIA

thats a bit beyond me, please tell how i go about that

s-256399 22:26 21 Apr 06

i have a belkin 5 port pci usb 2 adapter installed and all other hardware attached is ok so i guess i dont need to worry about the last line

i think it must be broken although the light is on but wont open,
thanks for help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:44 21 Apr 06

If all other devices in USB PCI board are good then drive had it, especially if it will not open.

€dstowe 07:02 22 Apr 06

Are you saying the drive is connected via a hub?

If it is, try connecting direct to the USB socket on the computer.

Taff™ 09:33 22 Apr 06

The Freecom Classic external drive is basically a HDD built into the Aluminium case with a front end USB unit. I had one that the USB unit failed after 4 weeks. Freecom would not fix it because they just send the faulty units back to Germany. To retrieve my data I had to get PC World to disassemble the unit and transfer my data to another drive. (If I`d done it myself it would have invalidated my warranty - according to Freecom) That exercise cost me £30 although the drive was replaced FOC.

Freecoms warranty is TWO YEARS in Europe. Contact them and request an RMA (Return to Manufacturers Authorisation) By the way they may suggest that you pay for the carriage. I believe that in my case this was illegal and challenged them on it - they agreed to reimburse me for the carriage. The easiest option is to take it back to the retailer who sold it to you and request a replacement.

s-256399 12:06 23 Apr 06

it is a freecom classic series DVD-RW drive, i have tried conecting via hub and direct to usb socket, im pretty sure it must be broken for some reason although there is a light on. any way i am going to try my luck returning it to p.c world but it was a year old on 15/04/06 so dont expect them to do much, typical only a weak out of the years guarantee that i think p.c world have, failing that i will be able to return to freecom,

thankyou for all responses.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…