Freecom 500GB USB drive not accessble after power

tallboy 08:39 02 May 09

I have a Freecom 500GB External USB drive. Unfortunately whilst it was transferring data to my Mesh PC the power switch on it accidentally got switched off for a second. Now I can't access the data from it with my Mesh PC.

If I plug the Freecom drive into my wife's Dell PC it works fine - so obviously the drive itself is OK. If I re-plug it into my Mesh PC I get the message:

'Windows - Delayed Write Failed. Windows was unable to save all the data for the file J:\$Mft. (J = Freecom drive) The data has been lost. The error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware.'

When I first power up the Freecom (before powering up the PC) the 'OK' activity light comes on as normal. As soon as Windows XP starts up the Freecom light goes out (which it should not) and sometimes XP start-up freezes.

There is obviously something on my PC which is preventing it from starting. I have uninstalled the USB drivers and then let them re-install automatically when the PC starts up, but that didn't fix it. The USB ports seem to be working fine for other devices so I have to assume that it is a software error rather than a hardware failure.

Any ideas as to how to restore 'normal Freecom service' (with or without existing data - I have it backed up elsewhere) would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tallboy.

Technotiger 08:59 02 May 09

You could go to your hard drive makers website and download their free diagnostic utility for your hard drive model. That may also have a fix.

Technotiger 09:00 02 May 09

Or - you could try a System Restore, without the hard drive attached, back to before you had the 'accident' - then try the drive again.

tallboy 09:50 02 May 09

Thanks for the suggestions Technotiger.

I'd rather not do a system restore as I am in the process of re-installing applications after a 'C' drive re-format and re-installation of XP. The 'accident' happened early on in the process (during the transfer of backed up emails) before I had re-installed any applications. Since apps like MS Office 2007 take a lot of time to install, I'd rather not have to go through that agin. (Which I would if I opted for an early restore point.)

The manufacturer's website sounds a better option. I'll take a look at it and also raise a ticket with their technical help line.

If I solve the problem that way, I'll post the solution here for others to see.

Technotiger 09:53 02 May 09

OK - good luck.

MESH Support 10:30 06 May 09

If the drive is working fine on another PC I would guess that something is cached on the MESH PC, likely data that it was in the process of writing, and it is trying to continue or finish the job.

Check this link for the MS Knowledgebase article on the error and possible fixes.

click here

Davey

tallboy 13:56 06 May 09

Thanks for the suggestion & link Davey at MESH Support.

I have now fixed the problem by running PC Advisor-recommended Registry First Aid several times. At the time of the error I had not re-installed this excellent registry repair tool application following my XP re-build.

The Freecom disk is now working fine.

Technotiger 15:33 06 May 09

Glad it is ok now - thanks for your feedback.

woodchip 15:37 06 May 09

You have corrupted the Drive DATA. You need to run Disc Scan in Windows on it if it will run

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…