Freecell corrupted after upgrading to IE6

lynnpin 10:02 10 Sep 03

Have just upgraded from Internet Explorer 5.5 to 6 and it froze during installation but I reinstalled and it seemed OK but now my Freecell game has been corrupted and shows "echos" of cards that have been moved, the scoring does not work and it won't let you move the cards around normally. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Freecell but it's still the same. Has anyone got any ideas please?

MAJ 10:36 10 Sep 03

It's an old problem with IE6 and Freecell, lynnpin, I'm not sure if they ever sorted it out, though. Various solutions were put forward, from re-installing to turning all other applications off while running Freecell. Maybe someone else knows if MS ever came up with a solution to the problem. I'm using IE6 and have Freecell and although I never play it, it seems to be working okay.

Ben4078 13:23 10 Sep 03

What operating system do u have?

lynnpin 13:25 10 Sep 03

i have Windows 98 first edition.

Wes Tam ;-) 13:31 10 Sep 03

I have IE6, ME and Freecell works fine.

There's a discussion forum on this subject at click here

MAJ 13:38 10 Sep 03

I'd be interested to know, if you replaced your version of Freecell with my version (from XP), if that would cure the problem. If you're willing to try that, email me (yellow envelope beside my name), and I'll send it to you.

Nosmas 14:40 10 Sep 03

If you are running AVG and / or Sygate Personal Firewall on your system the following may help, as I think Solitaire and Freecell work similarly.

I found when I first installed AVG that Solitaire failed to run. The answer was to untick the box beside "Use Outlook Express 5 Plugin" on the Email Scanner Tab of AVG Control Center. BUT DON'T FORGET TO RE-TICK THAT BOX WHEN FINISHED PLAYING otherwise your emails will not be scanned for viruses.

When I installed Sygate I got the effect you described as "echos" of cards moved. The solution here was to turn off Sygate, BUT ONLY WHEN NOT CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET. It is possible that other firewalls may also affect Freecell.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…