FREE WEB HOSTING

mbp 19:26 19 Sep 04

I have just come across the following Free Web Hosting at click here via the sponsored link.

It sounds too good to be true for anyone wanting to have a web site. Can anyone who has used this site tell me if there are any catches, and what the shortcomings are with it? Much appreciated.

Patr100 21:30 19 Sep 04

From what can see data transfer is not very generous at 100MB/month. You would have to upgrade to get more. No technical support either.

Forum Editor 23:52 19 Sep 04

the data transfer limit is quite small, and if you exceed it your account will be disabled until you upgrade to a paid service. The total lack of technical support would worry most people as well.

Apart from that the service offerd looks pretty good, and to be honest even the paid packages look to be fairly good value for money.

mbp 10:41 20 Sep 04

Thanks for your assurances. I cannot see any catches to the offer from heartinternet, except for the 100 MB data Transfer. Even so, it seems generous compared to other free web space on offer. Naturally, this offer is just the sweetener to attract you to buy bigger web space and transfer rates from them. A natural progression. And as you have commented, the paid for space is still very competitive.

I would think that this offer would be ideal for those just venturing out into Web publishing seriously and want to try out their wings?

Gaz 25 17:23 22 Sep 04

would run you out of your transfer limit anyway, so they attract you to something you can't use anyway.

woody_2k3 16:57 24 Sep 04

Another excellent free web host is click here
I think the transfer is only 100mb as well, and the space is small-but for ease of use it is superb.

Patr100 17:18 24 Sep 04

This site it worth looking at. Saves a lot of searching for free space providers.

click here

mbp 10:44 25 Sep 04

Thanks Woody,Freeweb looks one of the most encouraging of the lot with a very low cost, affordable for anyone, to upgrade. And Thanks too to Patr for giving us an insight into the mercenary world of web hosting. It seems that there is always a catch. Either it is too little a disk space or too little a monthly transfer limit, thus making the free web space a trial space only, useless for long term storage or presenting.

Be patient, some day, competition will sort out the good from the bad. I feel confident that the time will come when the greedy ones will die out and the value for money ones will survive. At the moment it is a mad scramble to get rich quick on the internet. I will continue my search for something I can afford as a pensioner who wants to share on the web.

sean-278262 11:47 25 Sep 04

click here give you 50mb space, a simple to use interface and a 1gb transfer limit. So all in all an excelent service, thats why I use them.Of course you can always sign up to other services and locate downloads on other servers using the same site name.keeping your main site free from any downtime due to heavy traffic and usage.

I use netfirms for their quality of service to me and my site is located at x.netfirms.com and downloads at x.downloads.netfirms.com just using simple hyperlinks to the downloads section and people dont notice that it is a completely different account.

Good luck in finding the right host for you.

mbp 16:41 25 Sep 04

creatutre o'e nite: It looks good, but I think that they must have reduced the disk space limit to 25mb since you last signed up. It looks like a good site nevertheless. The 1 Gb transfer rate allows flexibility. However for £4.95 web space can be upgraded to 250 Mb.

Patr100 22:56 25 Sep 04

The free providers are fine for having a go a building a few pages and testing them and for limited use provided you don't start to get too much traffic. By the way, have you checked you Internet Service provider as they often provide you with webspace without ads though there will be some other limitations.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…