Free Web Accelerator Software

webber_man 17:12 03 Jul 05

I have a mate who's still stuck with a dial up connection. Can anyone recommend any decent accelerator software he can use with a dial up connection?

Or, how about any Pay As You Go broadband deals where you only pay for what you actually use - no set up fees etc?

Thanks.

Joe R 17:15 03 Jul 05
  spuds 17:22 03 Jul 05
  Stuartli 18:45 03 Jul 05

Tiscali provides a similar utility to ONSpeed free for dialup services.

But mostly it's a case of the Emperor's New Clothes...:-)

Kate B 19:07 03 Jul 05

There's a good piece about onspeed in the current PC Pro. Its conclusions are that the compression methods it uses are good for pages that don't already have compressed stuff on them, such as jpgs, but not much cop for image-rich pages, which of course most are these days.

Worth a read, though - but having read that I wouldn't particularly recommend onspeed to anyone on dialup.

And by and large I think most dialup acceleration software isn't great, either.

webber_man 20:34 03 Jul 05

Stuartli - do you know if this is for Tiscali users only or can anyone with a dial up connection use it?

Daline 21:19 03 Jul 05

I received mine free when installing Tiscali ISP with the CD from the Post Office. It is an optional extra and I chose to install it. Seems to work OK

Daline 21:19 03 Jul 05

I received mine free when installing Tiscali ISP with the CD from the Post Office. It is an optional extra and I chose to install it. Seems to work OK

Stuartli 22:59 03 Jul 05

Try downloading it from:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced