Free Ubuntu book.

DieSse 12:06 08 Feb 09

For anyone looking at, considering using, or starting to use Linux.

Free downloadable book - (pdf file 2MB)

click here

Taff™ 13:47 08 Feb 09

Thanks Diesse - very useful.

MAT ALAN 13:56 08 Feb 09

Ta muchly, got a hankering for a bit of Ubuntuing, this will come in very handy...

bretsky 14:07 08 Feb 09

Yes, ditto.

FreeCell 14:31 08 Feb 09

Thanks DieSse, just what I wanted as a good introduction.

LastChip 14:36 08 Feb 09

click here for news on a heavily modified version on the new HP netbooks. I haven't seen or tried it, but it looks really good for new users.

More experienced Linux users may also like to try Crunch Bang, a really cool Ubuntu derivative that provides, audio, DVD and flash player operation straight out of the box, not to mention good wireless operation. click here

Be warned however, it uses the Openbox window manager, which is most unlike windows in as much as it's very different in operation. You "Right Click" the desktop to bring up a menu with the various applications on. From there, it's pretty straight forward. It IS however, extremely fast!

I've replaced PCLinuxOS on my laptop with it, and it's unbelievably quick! It also has the advantage of having access to the Ubuntu repositories to enable any extra application you want. So for example, if you want to replace the default excellent and fast Abiword word processor with Open Office, there's nothing to stop you.

Needless to say, it can be run at a reduced speed to try out as a live CD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced