Free Trials

jennydog 09:33 19 Feb 08

I have heard that if you take a free trial on a program - that there is a way to tweak it so that just keeps running, anyone ever heard of this?

johnnyrocker 09:34 19 Feb 08

not legal.

johnny

jennydog 09:51 19 Feb 08

So there is a way - I did not think it could be done, that ends the discusion at work from a know it all, he is right again!

RickyC :-) 10:03 19 Feb 08

Jennydog - just so that you can put your colleague straight on the subject. In days gone by there were some very simple ways to unlock trials to allow them to work after their expiry date. However, your colleague will find it far harder these days with software developers having become wise to the methods used.
The vast majority of software developers release time-limited trials of new applications - they wouldn't do this if it were simple to get around the restrictions.

regards
Richard
Cover Disc Editor

jennydog 10:13 19 Feb 08

Thank you for that,so in a way I'm right - at least that is my way of thinking, maybe a draw.

Jennydog

MAJ 10:21 19 Feb 08

As CD Editor says, jennydog, it's not as easy to do it now as it used to be. It used to be possible, at it's simplest, to set the PC's clock back and get use of a time-limited trial again. There are still ways in which 'cracking' trials can be done, but as johnnyrocker says, it's illegal.

jennydog 11:15 19 Feb 08

I lost my response - I think I did not post it.
Thank you MAJ, I'ts something we were talking about at work. I'd said about spending time downloading a load of rubbish before"free trial"could begin, only to find that card details etc had to be disclosed first.It would be good to be able to turn the tables on this sort of up the garden path add. I myself have no problem paying for a program if I'm happy with, just be honest about it from the beginning.

sunny staines 11:17 19 Feb 08

if you like it that much buy it.

if you are not sure delete run some deep reg cleaners,delete file in explorer, search for files & reg entries in names of software delete them. run deep reg scans again and a lot of free software will run again for another trial period or renew expiry date. this only for evaluation not permanent option.

Totally-braindead 11:37 19 Feb 08

I personally don't have a lot of time for these trials as you can really muck things up and some of the software you can get for free anyway.

Such as free anti virus and firewalls, free dvd player software, free CD and DVD burning software, free registry cleaners, free photo editing programs etc etc.

The short answer is you're both right. But even if you did find a way it is illegal.

sunny staines 12:05 19 Feb 08

totally braindead

I agree there, i very rarely try a free trial, although i did run disk keeper pro trial several times for opting for a free defrag from another maker.

free trials and mag cd's are generally avoided by most people other than newbies to computers. I think the mags only run the free trial cd's for extra revenue rather for the readers.

lisa02 15:04 19 Feb 08

Well I installed the full trial of Nero 8 which runs for 2 weeks but my system had issues soon after and Windows was reinstalled. When I put the trial back on I now another two weeks. At which point I'll buy it... It's not good to reinstall windows every two weeks, LOL.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos