Free software

Dorkins 20:07 27 May 08

I want to make a backup disk of my Windows XP installation. So can anyone tell me of free software that will do the job. Thanks

Pamy 20:13 27 May 08

Microsoft

wis 20:27 27 May 08

reading between the lines, i think you require a
slipstream disc, where you can also integrate
xp3 and more , i us nlite

wis 20:29 27 May 08

sorry
click here,

Dorkins 20:36 27 May 08

I want to make an ISO image of Windows XP so that i can then install it on another of my computers and then hopefully dual-boot it with Ubuntu. I don't have a Windows installation disk.

Kaacee 20:50 27 May 08

Illegal isn't it ??????

Dorkins 20:57 27 May 08

Thought it would have been alright as long as it was for my use and not giving or selling it to other people?

Totally-braindead 22:13 27 May 08

No I'm afraid not.

The rule is one copy of windows per PC (unless you buy multiple licences of course).

ronalddonald 11:54 28 May 08

does that mean that if an old laptop breaksdown and is unrepairable.I buy a new laptop with no operating system and decide to install the previous xp install disc onto the laptop is that illegal?

Totally-braindead 12:24 28 May 08

Yes it does ronalddonald and it would probably fail validation. Windows when preinstalled, as with laptops, is usually the OEM edition and it is meant for that computer only, when the computer dies it is meant to die with it.

Totally-braindead 20:41 28 May 08

You can make a slipstream disk of your existing installation for reinstalling on your existing computer - just do a google search - but it is my understanding that even ignoring the validation problem and that you are breaking the licencing agreement, if you try to use a slipstream disk on another PC it will not work properly as the drivers are all wrong.

I could be wrong with that but that is my belief.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…