Free Serif software

micklemouse 11:12 28 Apr 06

Help and advice! Serif software are offering PhotoPlus 6 and DrawPlus 4 for free, and I would like to know if they compare favourably with Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop since they are both free applications. I'm not into webdesign for business purposes so I don't need top of the range software. But I do look for quality where I can!

Regards Micklemouse

micklemouse 11:13 28 Apr 06

p.s. I intend to use NetObjects Fusion.

rmcqua 11:22 28 Apr 06

Worth having for free, but not as feature - rich as Paint Shop Pro. I can't make a comparison with Photoshop, as I don't use it.

Belatucadrus 11:30 28 Apr 06

Both Photoplus 6 and DrawPlus 4 are capable archive versions and are quite good enough for the majority of home users. Do they compare with the latest variants of PSP or Photoshop, not really as Photoshop and PSP are targeting pro users and have many more functions, most of which are never going to be used by the average buyer. If you should find that the free versions are lacking in any features, Serif offer upgrades to the latest versions at very reasonable rates.

micklemouse 11:54 28 Apr 06

Would PaintShop Pro do the job of both of these applications combined?

Simsy 11:59 28 Apr 06

"both of these applications combined" you are referring to PhotoPlus 6 and DrawPlus 4, I'm sure the answer is yes...

I have and use PSP7, and can say it's a very capable tool, and can doo much more than I can make it do! Certainly I can't believe that Photoplus 6 has anything to offer that PSP7 doesn't, (but I don't know for certain!). I don't know what DrawPlus 4 can do, but with PSP7 you can create images from scratch and do almost anything.

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

micklemouse 12:08 28 Apr 06

The software and descriptions can be found here click here where you can get a rough idea of what they have to offer by clicking on their links. I'm going to have to get my head around it one way or the other. I guess the best way is to just download them and see how I go.

Thanks everyone, Micklemouse

Diemmess 12:15 28 Apr 06

Draw Plus may be closer to Illustrator rather than Photoshop.
Photoshop and Photoplus are picture editing programs bitmaps and all!

I think Draw plus is a vector drawing program that deals with lines, blends, shapes and text alterations.
Fine for posters and impact headings but will not save as TIF or JPG though can probably be exported as such.

driving man 12:17 28 Apr 06

In support of Serif I would endorse the previous comments about their products not having as many functions (but do we use them all anyway)However their help desk is superb if you come across a problem.Their software is also very intuitive to use

micklemouse 12:31 28 Apr 06

Thank you Diemess and driving man. I am going to go for Photoshop on the basis of your comments that it's more than adequate and their help desk. Problem solved!

Thanks everyone,

Regards Micklemouse.

(Thank god for this website too ;-)))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…