Free Serif Software

GroupFC 15:14 03 Oct 03

I am seeking advice about a couple of programs I am thinking about getting from click here.

I am running XP home and want to have a dabble at doing some photo-editing and was thinking of getting Photoplus 5.5 from the above. I also want to have a go at building a website and was thinking of getting Webplus 6.

What does anybody think of these programs or are there any other free (or cheap!) programs out there which will get me started? I realise that free or cheap programs will most likely be quite limited in what they can do, but I just want something to practice having a go with.

As usual any advice or comments will be very much appreciated.

Stuartli 15:20 03 Oct 03

Serif software is some of the best available - the free versions are earlier ones and have been distributed in this form for several years when a new one has been released.

The firm also makes what are bargain prices offers on digital cameras and similar items; it hopes that by using its software products you will be impressed enough to buy the up to date versions.

It does tend to cold call asking if you are interested but a polite No Thank You usually suffices if you are not interested; it's the same when they try and persuade you to upgrade whilst ordering the free software.

Don't be put off, however, by this as Serif is well respected and, as I said, its software is excellent.

alcudia 15:30 03 Oct 03

These programs are great for what they cost (and these versions are free).

You should be able to get Photoplus 6 free now though.

I recently upgaded to the latest versions of the whole seriff range, which I got for less than £100.00 You can't argue with that.

Stuartli 15:34 03 Oct 03

Also look at these threads:

click here

click here

click here

There are no doubt several other similar threads.

pj123 15:50 03 Oct 03

I have all the latest Serif Software, and it is very good. The only problem you will have is -like me - lots of emails or phone calls asking if you want to update and giving you preferential rates for doing so. You only have to say NO though.

GroupFC 15:53 03 Oct 03

Thanks for the replies.

They certainly look OK having had a quick skim through the other postings (I can do a polite "No thank you"!).

I knew I should have done search first!

bof:) 17:27 03 Oct 03

Hi GroupFC,

I have to agree with the above, I've been using Serif programs for a while now.

I also get the emails etc. Just delete them and bin any stuff that comes through the post that you are not interested in.

Would recommend Serif to anyone.

Mike

bobber100 17:34 03 Oct 03

If you decide to upgrade to newer paid for versions, you get an unconditional 30 day money back gaurantee. Ring them up to return the software under that gaurantee they will offer you a 25/30% discount.

Djohn 17:46 03 Oct 03

As others say, excellent company to deal with and at times offer some deals that are too good to miss. Don't think you will go wrong with them at all. And yes they do sometimes try to close the deal by offering you an incentive, a polite "No thank you" always works. j.

canard 17:55 03 Oct 03

Find them lovely to deal with. For starters you get a sensible and pleasant human being on the phone. They're always doing great offers for those who have registered with their site. The last one I took up was on show at a PC fair claimimg to be half price but was twice the Serif offer price.

tbb 18:08 03 Oct 03

Serif stuff is certainly good value. But once you've got it the temptation is to go for the cheap offered upgrades. Which is fine if you really want the new features. If not, beware the post and packing charge, which can be a substantial addition to the offer price.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…