free search engine to promote my site

monkon2 01:10 09 Apr 04

i was wondering if there are any free search engines that i can register my site with.

cheers in advance

Google, who needs any other?

People recommend submitting to DMOZ so take a look but be Very Careful, read the small print scrupulously as it contains a waiver on your copyright which may or may not be important to you depending on your content.

monkon2 17:55 09 Apr 04

google is free? bugger me, i didnt know that..lol
where do you submit it? do you have a link?

cheers again

jolorna 19:49 09 Apr 04

click here hope this helps

monkon2 19:54 09 Apr 04

thanks, that was easy enough. perhaps you can now recommend a god free web host for the site so i can change the lame address i have! lol

PurplePenny 22:15 09 Apr 04

But isn't it only on your submission - i.e. the phrase that you submit to DMOZ as the description of your site?

Since that is going into their directory to be used by other directories and search engines, by anyone who cares to use it, I would imagine that legally they have to have a waiver of copyright. Without it you might object if your phrase turned up in a search engine and you were unaware that it used DMOZ data.

Penny

Penny, I suggest you read it carefully (its alittle while since I did so can't quote the exact words and they take you deep into the process before you get to read it) the agreement would seem to indicate that it refers to the site as a whole as that is what you are submitting but it is unclear.

having gone back through my old postings here is the exact phrase. "by clicking the submit button you thereby agree:- 'To grant Netscape Communications Corporation a non-exclusive, royalty-free license to use, publish, copy, edit, modify, or create derivative works from my submission.'"

still that is vague as to what constitutes 'submission' . so I don't really know but would advise anyone to err on the sife of caution if thay have any particularly valuable content.

( anyway, what would I know about submission Penny? cough . I'll get my coat)

PurplePenny 22:44 09 Apr 04

I see what you mean. I must say that when I read it I thought it meant just the site description that you have to supply. But you are right - it is vague. I wonder whether anyone has ever challenged it?

Penny

monkon2 00:47 10 Apr 04

seems complicated(!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…