free replacement for paid internet security

pookie 14:22 05 Jan 14
Answered

Hi,

Windows 7 sp1. I use paid for Bitdefender Internet Security but my 1 year license is ending soon.

I don't fancy spending £20-£30 for another year. Is there a free all in one (antivirus, firewall etc) programme you recommend? Or do you suggest seperates like Avast for virus and Zonealarm for firewall?

Thank you

john bunyan 15:05 05 Jan 14

I recommend AVG, Avira or Avast (only one) as anti virus. I would use the Windows 7 firewall. I also use Spywareblaster to deter malware, and both Malawarebytes and Superantispyware to scan and remove threats. All these are available with free downloads. I also use free CCleaner to clear history, cookies etc and to do a light registry clean. Dont forget to remove your existing a/v.

pookie 15:44 05 Jan 14

Perfect - thank you. With Windows 7 firewall was there not something years ago that it was one way only so people didn't use it or have I misunderstood?

spuds 15:55 05 Jan 14
Answer

What as been already suggested, fits most requirements. Of the three anti-virus I personally use Avast Free, and have done for years without problems.

Reference to the Windows firewall, that use to be very suspect on older Windows versions to some people, being one-way as you say. But it would appear that more are beginning to trust Windows firewalls. If you are really concerned, then look at something like Zonealarm, but you might need to pay for that nowadays?.

pookie 15:59 05 Jan 14

Thank you. That's all I needed to know.

bumpkin 16:09 05 Jan 14

Comodo as another option.

pookie 16:14 05 Jan 14

True, I'd thought of Comodo. I'd used it years ago but I found it hard to configure then and it had lots of pop ups so that sort of put me off. However, if it's now more user friendly I'll give it a go

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…