FREE PROTECTIVE SOFTWARE (SKIDZY?)

parkhead 16:53 23 Oct 08

1. Last year Skidzy posted the definitive list of free software to protect computers. Part of the selection was:

"Now let’s clean up the computer of those tracking cookies and possible adware and search engines that may redirect your browser.
Spybot Search and Destroy
Adaware
Cwshredder"

I have downloaded Spybot and Adaware but they both report conflict with each other. I was going to try Cwshredder but should I get rid of Spybot or Adaware? My preference would be to get rid of Spybot as it takes longer to run. What do the wizards think?

2 A few years ago I bought a copy of 'Internet Cleanup' which removed history, etc. Amd I right in thinking that Ccleaner and Regscrubxp do this job and I can bin Internet Cleanup?

Many thanks for your customary kind assistance.

DieSse 17:43 23 Oct 08

I don't think they conflict with one another. I ran both for some time together. The standard warning message you get at the opening is just that - read it and you'll see it's not a conflict.

I prefer Spybot, and do make sure to frequently update and run the immunise feature.

eset security suite and Spybot immunisation does such a good job that 9 times out of 10 running extra spyware progs finds nothing any more.

Ccleaner on its own should be plenty. On the other hand I use Wise Disk Cleaner and Wise Registry Cleaner rather than those you quote.

skidzy 19:11 23 Oct 08

Though Regscrubxp is very good it can be a little aggressive for the basic user.So i would recommend ccleaner at default settings.

Spybot Search and Destroy is a handy piece of software to keep.Using this with as said the immunize function is recommended.The conflict you maybe getting is the SSD tea-timer if you have this active.Again,this is very good but can be a real pain with its notifications (some disable this).

Adaware and Spybot should run happily together on almost all machines,but of course-no two machines are alike.

CWShredder,is mainly a backup stand alone tool and to be honest,is not used much now due to the other programs out there and there definition databases.

Im currently (still) creating a part two of Safe and Clean Computers that will be basically the same but with a few more tools.This again will be aimed at the novice and to give some a better understanding of computer maintenance and safety.

As said before,some tools will find things others may miss...nothing is 100%.

For now i would suggest for your security and clean computer;

AVG or Avast antivirus.
Software firewall such as Zonealarm or comodo.
Spywareblaster as a blocker.
Winpatrol as a SECURITY MONITOR. (a must have in my opinion).
MBAM from Malwarebytes
Superantispyware
Ccleaner
And then treat yourself to a copy of Acronis True Image.

These will protect you from most nasties and keep the computer clean.All freeware but some have paid versions too.

Updated regularly and run monthly should keep your computer in tip top condition.

Other problems can be addressed accordingly.

parkhead 21:39 23 Oct 08

Thanks, Skidzy for a very full reply (and DieSse). I am going to download and use the list you have given. This means that, from the list you gave last year I'm going to throw out:
Windows Defender
Spyware Terniator
Regscrub

Does this sound okay?

skidzy 22:11 23 Oct 08

The list ive posted will serve you just fine.
Add another browser or two such as Firefox and Flock,just incase IE has its problems.

parkhead 23:34 23 Oct 08

Thanks a lot, Skidzy. Top man!

Halmer 11:38 24 Oct 08

What does Winpatrol do (in layman's terms) please?

DieSse 13:43 24 Oct 08

Be very careful with AVG free - I've just spent several hours removing malware from a system with free AVG on it.

There are several vital facilities missing from the free version - doesn't automatically check downloads for a start!! - OR rootkits, email threats and more

click here

IMHO that's pretty appalling.

DieSse 13:45 24 Oct 08

AND it's only available for single computer use at home. Otherwise you should pay.

parkhead 16:00 24 Oct 08

Hello,

Like Halmer (above) I would also appreciate a wee simple explanation as to what Winpatrol does. I have it installed - am I correct in thinking I don't have to do anything further, like run it occasionally?

Can I assume the same for Spyware Blaster in that it just does its own thing and I don't need to run it occasionally?

Many thanks.

hiwatt 16:10 24 Oct 08

I would keep spyware terminator.It's a good real time scanner.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…