Free Protection for your PC

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:59 30 Jul 05

Now you have a new PC and are connected to the world wide web (internet) you are also connected to the seedier side of life in the "ether".

One day you may find that you click onto your home page and are redirected to somewhere nasty. Or adverts for things you do not want or wish your children to see keep popping up on your desktop.

Protection is essential and comes in "layers"

1. A firewall --- prevents someone from accessing your data via your internet connection. Windows has and inbuilt firewall that protects against incomming intrusions but you also need to prevent some programs from sending your data out from your PC. Zone alarm will do both. Note only use one firewall on you PC

ZoneAlarm
click here

2. Anti virus protection --- A virus is a program or piece of code that is loaded onto your computer without your knowledge and runs against your wishes. Viruses can also replicate themselves. All computer viruses are man made. Virus are written by hackers all the time ANTI VIRUS SOFTWARE IS USELESS IF NOT KEPT UP TO DATE. Avast will automatically update and automatically scan if you set the screen saver option. Note only use one antivirus program on you PC.

Avast click here

3. Antispyware /malware --- Spyware applications are typically bundled as a hidden component of freeware or shareware programs that can be downloaded from the Internet. Once installed, the spyware monitors user activity on the Internet and transmits that information in the background to someone else. Spyware can also gather information about e-mail addresses and even passwords and credit card numbers. Also called adware.

"malicious software," malware refers to software programs designed to damage or do other unwanted actions on a computer system.

Spyware Blaster prevents some of these programs from installing. AdAware, MsAntispy and Spybot Search and Destroy scan for and eliminate spyware. You can use as many anti spyware programs as you like, each one may find something the other miss again THEY MUST BE KEPT UP TO DATE.

Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here
Spyware Sweeper click here
MSoftAntispy Beta click here
Ewido click here

SANTOS7 13:48 30 Jul 05

testament to the type of people who are members of this forum, and if Fruit Bat /\0/\ is prepared to take time out to prepare this type of info, hats off to you matey........

[email protected]...

LastChip 15:14 30 Jul 05

As an addition, I should point out that ONLY XP has an inbuilt Firewall. Forum members using previous flavours of Windows, should make sure they have Zone Alarm or similar.

Stuartli 16:36 30 Jul 05

As a further addition, even XP users should disable the built-in firewall and use ZoneAlarm or similar for its greater all round benefits.

Forum Editor 16:49 30 Jul 05

For the past few months all my office Windows machines (6 of them) have been protected by the Windows XP firewall - SP2 version. All the computers are connected to the Internet for at least 9 hours a day, are used heavily, and during that time not one of them has picked up anything nasty at all.

I currently use Avast anti-virus, Adaware and CCleaner
click here and that's all. We haven't had a virus or Trojan infection within living memory, although plenty have tried, and we haven't ever had a browser hijack. The essence of computer security is commonsense, plus judicious use of available (free) software protection.

Thanks, Fruit Bat /\0/\ for a thoughtful and informative thread.

p;3 17:36 30 Jul 05

may I also add;as stated above, use only one installed antivirus program on your pc; however, you may do a "house-call" with another antivirus program if you wish,as an added check, but you may wish to ask on forum which programs are compatible as not all of them are:)

and no point in having any program on there if it is not kept up to date ( I am working on a machine that has previously had an antivirus program on there that was at least 5 years out of date update definitions-wise and therefore pointless ; and also out of date with being able to be updated )

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:15 27 Sep 05

Time to bump this to the top again.

There seems to be a large number of threads about viruses (viri)at the moment.

iscanut2 14:24 27 Sep 05

AVG is also a good free Antit Virus program. Have a look here > click here

sunny staines 16:48 27 Sep 05

Does spyware sweeper & ewido do free versions or are they limited trial versions?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:51 28 Sep 05

My mistake they are trial versions

stalion 19:49 28 Sep 05

I am surprised you are not useing spywareblaster
it's protection against spyware is excellent

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…