Free Programmes and Ethics

Sheila-214876 11:06 28 Jan 04

I have Irfanview, downloaded for free. I have a friend who does not have, and does not want, an Internet connection. He would, however, like Irfanview, as he has now got a Digital Camera. What are your opinions on: I download a copy and install it on his computer? I have tried to persuade him to get a PAYG internet account but he is frightened that if he did that he would rack up his phone bill. He is adamant that if he has no internet account there is no temptation. I am sure that if he looks around, Irfanview might be found on a magazine coverdisk sometime.

Chegs ® 11:08 28 Jan 04

I cannae see any reason why you cannot obtain it for him,if it needs no registration/money to use.

Jester2K 11:20 28 Jan 04

There is no reason why you can't pop it on floppy for him.

Sir Radfordin 11:26 28 Jan 04

If you read the EULA it will tell you what you can and can't do. In most cases where something can be downloaded and used 'for free' then you can also distribute it in its original format. There would be nothing to stop your friend going to an Internet Cafe (even if it is in your house!) and downloading it so nothing to stop you taking it round to install.

I frequently download patches/free software for clients as I don't wish to do it over their dial up connections.

the nearest thing to an EULA with irfanview is "'FREEWARE for non commercial use !

Enjoy ! :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IrfanView software is provided "as-is".
No warranty of any kind is expressed or implied.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------'"

copy it for your friend and if you feel you owe something make a donation to Irfan.

Sheila-214876 11:50 28 Jan 04

Thank you Guys/Gals. My conscience is now clear.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017