free PREVX home spyware blocker

esbe 00:00 24 Nov 04

Hi,just downloaded this from click here and it seems quite impressive, and has an excellent interface.
I was just wondering if anyone else is using it, and what you think of it so far.
cheers

Dan the Confused 00:06 24 Nov 04

click here

I want to know too!

esbe 00:14 24 Nov 04

after installing,it updated to Version 2.0 build version 2.2.0.2

GaT7 00:25 24 Nov 04

Here are some views - click here. Some extracts:

"Awesome software for free. Just remember to disable it when installing legitimate programs"

"i would kiss the creater of this programe it they are absolute geniuses lol"

"it notifies you of everything that comes and goes and changes in your computer. giving YOU the upper hand"

"I'm running windows XP with service pack 2 and this program installed and ran fine. When Prevx Home detects suspicious activity, a pop up menu (similar to Zonealarm's Allow/Deny menu) will appear on your screen and you have the chance to allow or deny the activity. I haven't had a problem with this program and I would suggest it to anyone concerned about preventing intrusions on their home PC"

"Using XP Pro with SP2. After downloading, my computer crashed during install. Fortunately I use GoBack and did a restore."

"Cheap & unreliable, does not integrate with windows security center. No wonder this software is free. IT MUST BE FOR MAC USERS....." (this is the longest post on page 3)

As with ALL software - unfortunately, cannot please everyone ; ) G

esbe 00:50 24 Nov 04

Thanx very much for the info, quite a few mixed opinions there.
cheers.

gudgulf 01:14 24 Nov 04

I used this for a number of months when the Beta edition first became known to this forum....I have no doubt the it does an excellent job..the only problem is that with my computer usage ALL and I mean ALL alerts received were caused by updating/installing/modifying programs by me.None were from real threats to my pc.As a result I am no longer using it.However when I experimented with using it as my only protection and visited some known hijacking sites it blocked the hijacks (but didn't stop unwanted files being loaded on my pc).

A good product and well worth trying in my opinion.

bertiecharlie 10:33 24 Nov 04

Prevx is very similar to the likes of TruePrevent and Abtrusion Protector. There is some similarity with ProcessGuard and System Safety Monitor although its more likely to compliment these programmes than clash with them.

Prevx does provide another layer of security but the buffer overflow protection, for example, will not be as secure as the Data Execution Protection feature of XPSP2 and the Athlon chip.

There is one aspect of all these types of programmes which leaves your defences wide open. When you are installing new software its recommended that you turn the protection off otherwise you will receive pop up after pop up warning you of this and that and the programme may not install correctly if you have blocked it at various stages. The problem is, if you are installing a programme which you think is legitimate and it happens to contain a trojan or spyware then your defences have been breached. At least when you run the new programme, you will receive warnings about what its trying to do but by that time its installed on your system. Also, as you think its a legitimate programme anyway, you are likely to answer "allow" to any prompts you receive.

There is also the "phone home" aspect of the new version of Prevx which you have to be comfortable with. This appears to be done on a regular basis, not just when it has detected an attack, and will include details of your running processes etc. They are quite open about the fact that they will sell the information they acquire to interested parties. That is how they can give you the programme for free.

I prefer ProcessGuard but will probably give Prevx a shot as they should be compatible. Now whether its compatible with Norton Anti-Virus, that's another question ...

esbe 12:01 24 Nov 04

Hmmm, some interesting points raised.
It seems 'six of one, and half a dozen of the other' at the moment.

Many thanks to you all for your comments so far.

Any more?
cheers.

JIM 12:27 24 Nov 04

a good report/view of the Prevx program which i also run and a some fair points from you bertiecharlie.
To early for me to make up my mind on the longterm running of this program,but will give it a fair crack of the whip.

There is one good thing regarding the popups whatever the reason and that is to make us the user think for a second or two.

May save us a problem with the running off.

Jim.

PS.

If our FE. has a chance to have a look at the program and possibly give us a comment or two it would be more than intresting to read.

bertiecharlie 12:55 24 Nov 04

esbe.

As you are running the programme would it be a trouble for you to advise what the CPU usage is by looking in TaskManager. Have you noticed any effect on the performance of your computer?

I know when the original Version 2 came out a few weeks ago, CPU usage was an issue but I understand this has been corrected by one of the software updates.

esbe 17:20 24 Nov 04

hi, CPU At 2-5% as I speak, when browsing another site, it goes up to 14% but quickly settles down to about 3%, and as yet (famous last words),I haven't noticed any odd effect on my pc.

When I installed Prevx, there was about a 2mb update to build version 2.2.0.2, perhaps that was the cpu issue?

JIM, I seem to remember reading a thread on here somewhere, where FE is trying out Prevx, but I dont think it's the home edition.
cheers all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…