Free PC File shredder cleaner prior to sale

willyv 21:00 09 Sep 08

Hi ,
I am getting rid of my old desktop and want to ensure all personal files and data is wiped. can anybody recommend a free cleaner (i already use ccleaner) or shredder to ensure my private details (such as ebanking) are not passed on to the buyer.
Many thanks,
Will

csqwared 21:13 09 Sep 08

The best one I've come across (and used) is Dariks Boot and Nuke click here. It is just about military grade, overwrites your whole disk, making a few passes to do it, therefore can take a while. I've just done a clean re-install on my other (40 Gb HDD) machine using it and it took about six hours. Beware *It does destroy everything*

Ditch999 21:40 09 Sep 08

Best option is to format then reinstall OS (or use the built in factory restore if there is one) and use something like Eraser click here to wipe over any free space left after the reinstall.

willyv 21:47 10 Sep 08

could i use one of these and keep my office suite on the pc? cheers

csqwared 20:28 11 Sep 08

I'm not sure how the option proposed by Ditch999 works but it seems to do the same thing as DBAN - wipe your whole hard drive clean. As Ditch999 suggests you would then have to re-install the OS from either the image supplied by your vendor when you bought the machine or your retail MS XP/Vista disc. You would then be able to re-install any software you like, office suite or whatever, before passing on the machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017