free or purchased anti-spy anti-virus

ole1999 09:24 16 Jul 05

Does anybody on this forum actually use any that they have purchased or just always use the free versions.

I have always wondered what exactly the purchased versions offer or find that the free versions do not, and if so could someone tell me please what is the best in their opinion of both of the above.

Thank you

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:33 16 Jul 05

I run a mail out list of over 90 users of AVG free. I have used paid for Norton (too invasive and too much of a resource hog...slows down less powerful computers) and paid for MacAfee (OK but still invasive). I never use a firewall and just have AVG and MS Antispy + a bit of common sense. Result = no viruses, trojans or worms. The other 90 people on the list have never had a problem. Make of this what you will.

click here

ole1999 09:38 16 Jul 05

Thank you GANDALF <|:-)>

I will check that out, cheers

DieSse 10:41 16 Jul 05

I use a purchaset AV - NOD32 click here It has the best record of finding viruses over the years in independant test at the Virus Bulletin click here

It also has extremely good heuristic capabilities (ablity to find new, undefined viruss).

It's also at least twice as fast as the next fastes scanner - and 24 times faster than some! with very low system overheads.

It's now also certified by ICSA against Spyware/Adware and Trojans.

It updates as often as needed - mine set to check every hour - most days bring one or more updates

You pay yearly and get all updates, including new versions - none of theis 2003/2004/2005 rubbish where you have to buy each new version!

Essentially it's the perfect model of what an AV should be and should do. I have total confidence in it.

(and no, I don't have any financial or other interest - I'm just a user)

spuds 11:48 16 Jul 05

AVG is excellent, and doe's the job very well. Also worth a serious consideration is Avast click here

Both offer get support, they do what is expected, and they are both free and very well recommended.What more can you ask for!.

Belatucadrus 11:57 16 Jul 05

Generally the free AV programs are slightly cut down versions of commercial products, with some of the control options operating in reduced function mode. For example avast! scheduled scans is lost in the free version and AVG only permits daily auto scans. avast! has screen saver scan, that is probably a better option anyway. In both cases however the anti virus protection is the same as the commercial version, both have the VirusBulletin 100% award and are ICSA rated and offer perfectly good AV protection for the non profit home user. Commercial users are not eligible and if they use them it counts as software theft and they could be prosecuted by FAST.

Stuartli 12:41 16 Jul 05

I've used the free version of AVG (after Pipex ceased providing Norton AV free) for two or three years and have always been very happy.

However, when a friend who got a new system asked about such things, I decided to install Avast on his system (along with ZA etc) because it updates itself and he wasn't convinced he could undertake such niceties without falling down on the job.

I was so impressed with Avast that I subsequently installed it on mine and a friend's system and, again, am very pleased with the outcome in both cases.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:22 16 Jul 05

Used AVG for along time until had problems with e-mail scanner after and update.

So switched to Avast, been away for a fortnight come back to find everything upto date and autoscanned with dauhters using PC for chat etc. tey have not had to tink abut updatiing osr regular scanning as Avast does this automatically.

ole1999 14:42 16 Jul 05

Thanks for the responses guys, some interesting information about various versions.

Ancient Learner 16:26 16 Jul 05

I bought NOD32 because of what is said above. It is great and it just does its job with no interference from me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…