"Free" Monitor using DSUB/DVI with Nview

powerless 00:58 02 May 03

(I talk about Linux first but i do get to Windows eventually)

If your lucky to own a TFT/LCD monitor that has both DSUB and DVI inputs.

Then read on...

...If you also have a graphics card that has DSUB and DVI outputs.

Then read on...

I found something interesting just before when trying to Install Red Hat Linux 9. During the install process using the graphical interface and using the DVI connection between TFT/LCD and my grpahics card. For some reason the monitor would go into "Standby" so i could not install linux. I was "gutted" after about 5 failed downloads and 4 buggered CD's.

Well i had a search on google and apparently i had to make a configuration change to stop the monitor going into "Standby". But i was getting an error, so i could not make this change. The monitor would only go into "standby" when all the colourful and simple linux installer should have appeared...

I tried to install Linux using the text based installer and i could and i did install Linux purely by reading text.

However when tring to get into Linux after the install, the monitor would once again go into "standby".

I then decided to connect an old CRT monitor up and see if that made a diffrence. It most certainly did. I could now get to a Linux desktop.

I then reconnected my TFT up using the DSUB connection and i could now get to a Linux desktop using the DUSB connection on my TFT.

(Linux must not like the DVI)

I then left the setup both DVI and DSUB connected at the sametime. Now i then booted into windows and using the DVI connection i could use Windows. Now when i did get into Windows the "Nvidia Nview setup" appeared.

I cancelled this but went to my display properties and it detected another monitor (but i'm only using the one monitor but with both DSUB/DVI connected at the sametime).

I then ticked "Extend the windows desktop onto this monitor".

Clicked "ok"

Then i switched over to the DSUB connection and i had another desktop.

So you can extend the windows desktop on the same monitor using both DUSUB and DVI connections.

I say "free" because your not using another monitor...

I'm using an LG Flatron L1810B TFT with an MSI - Ti4600 Grpahics card. To switch between the DVI and DSUB i press the "source" button on front of the TFT. I know this is not the same as using two monitors but if you have no other monitor then this may come in handy.

powerless 07:18 02 May 03

Wake up ;-) it's the morning.

powerless 23:18 02 May 03

Shutdown.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017