free up memory

sittingduck 07:58 21 Jan 06

how do i find out what processes can be closed, i sse to bew missing around 200 -300 mb when pc is idle i have 1 gig of ram but only showing atound 700 of free memory sometimes as low 600 mb, also i have been told to defrag my page file but dont have a clue how

Diodorus Siculus 08:34 21 Jan 06

Windows XP Memory Tweak Guide - TechSpot
click here if you use XP

Also give some more details of your specification - processor, hard disks, running programs at startup etc.

jack 08:35 21 Jan 06

To De Fragment - Start/programs/accessories/system tools/defrag.
This can be time consuming if you have not done it before.Best set to run and leave the machine overnight- any activity- even moving a mouse still stop the process.
This will free up space on the Hardrive.
But you are talking RAM a different thing ltogether. To free up RAM close down all background programs.
To do this
Start, in the left hand column all programs running is listed.'This is the Start Group' that start on boot up
Right click on each and you will see 'Remove from this list' click on that. and the programs will not run next start up.
However the list will rebuild in time so it will need checking on.
A useful accessory is 'End It All' so you can close programs in mass on the fly.
A Google search with 'end it all' in the frame will show you where to find it.

sittingduck 13:47 21 Jan 06

it wa not defragging the hard drive it was the page file.

Diodorus Siculus 14:00 21 Jan 06

The Windows XP Page File
click here

Better off deleting it and recreating it in my opinion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…