free magazine software giveaways

crespo 03:34 08 Dec 05

Crespo calling! Having just got a laptop, i'm getting a few computer-related magazines. I need all the help i can get! I've noticed a few have free cd/dvd giveaways on the front cover. Is it safe to download any of these? I'm talking specifically about firewalls & security. I have Norton 2006 anti-virus & Windows firewall.Are they enough or should i download these free programmes e.g. Panda security & other "6-month trial firewall schemes? "Moreover, are they safe enough themselves without messing up my files, settings, security etc.? Any advice v.welcome. Cheers! C.

acfc 07:28 08 Dec 05

Magazine CDs are virus checked and will be safe however you do not want to install additional virus checker or firewall as this will conflict with your existing setup.

If you have a year of upgrades with your norton programs then just use this. When your subscription runs out and they ask for a load of money then you can either pay or use free programs like AVG antivirus and Zonealarm firewall both of which are recommended frequently in this forum

Spywareblaster, Microsoft Antispy, Spyboy S&D and Lavasoft Adaware are often available on magazine disks and are excellent programs to have on your system. They are also available to download but if your on dialup it could be easier to install from disc.

PaulB2005 07:31 08 Dec 05

Personally i try to install a few of these types of programs as possible unless i REALLY want the program.

They will be safe as in they won't (or shouldn't) contain viruses. However there's no protection against people installing a file wiping program and then obliterating half their Windows core files or, as someone i know did, installing 3 anti viruses programs.

If you want extra security on top of NAV and the Windows firewall look at

Zone Alarm - click here Free

which will replace the Windows Firewall

AdAware - click here

SpywareBlaster - click here

These can be used along side NAV and ZA.

Make sure you understand the software first, then download, make a System Restore Point and install.

Not sure - ask here.

Stuartli 10:18 08 Dec 05

Reputable magazines' cover disks provide some useful software to install if it suits your purpose although some of the larger programs and utilities may be a little out of date.

I've never suffered any viruses etc when using either a floppy or CD-ROM cover disk over the past 10 years.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…