Free Keylogger

LeedsLass 08:30 12 Apr 06

Can anyone recommend a free keystroke logger? I want one that only logs keystrokes - don't need anything fancy but don't want it to be one of those malicious ones that send any logs back to the "owner".

I know it sounds like a strange request but I suspect a flatmate *may* be using my PC (when I'm out) for let's say, dubious, activity. I can't disallow access completely to him as he pays towards the Broadband but the deal was that "certain" sites would not be accessed and I don't want to confront him until (if?) I have proof.

Aargh 09:22 12 Apr 06

Does your Web browser or Firewall software not log connections?

You can set up IE and Firefox to store visited websites - both have a 'history' button on the toolbar which allows you to pull back recently visited web pages. Or is your friend cute enough to clear the history each time they log off?

Also, does your firewall software have a statistics log showing program activity and web history? There are less difficult ways to check than installing keyloggers.

rawprawn 09:25 12 Apr 06

Rather than a keylogger, why not just look at the Temp Internet files in Internet Options. If they have been deleted download "Restoration"

click here
and have a look through the deleted files on your HD

LeedsLass 09:50 12 Apr 06

Thanxs guys / gals - I didn't know you could check like that instead :o)

Jackcoms 14:19 12 Apr 06

Why not simply password protect your PC at the Windows login stage?

That will prevent your flatmate (or anyone else) from using the PC.

LeedsLass 07:53 13 Apr 06

No - the PC is mine but I can't afford the Broadband on my own so I agreed they could all use my PC for www as long as they contributed to the Broadband payments, but on certain terms.

dogbreath1 08:43 13 Apr 06

So, you want your flat mate to subsidise your BB connection but want to restrict where he/she browses.

And now you want to spy on your flat mate's internet activity!

I'm glad that I'm not your flat mate.

NewRoyWidd 09:45 13 Apr 06

Surely not a helpful comment,when other forum members have given LeedsLass helpful advice?

dogbreath1 09:58 13 Apr 06

It's a strange world. A.N.Other (frequently) comes on here with a filesharing question and get's castigated even before it is clear that he is downloading copyrighted material. Yet, someone else seeks methods of spying on a flat mate...and people are falling over themselves to help!

It seems that the self appointed police on here don't include the discouragement of immoral activities within their remit.

LeedsLass 17:11 16 Apr 06

@ Dogbreath - the computer is mine and therefore it is my responsibility that my flatmate doesn't "infect" it with harmful virus'/malware/spyware, etc. or even a leave a history that coul be construed as "dubious"

DrScott 17:22 16 Apr 06

If it's LeedsLass' computer then surely she has a right to determine what it is used for? Or at least what it shouldn't be used for? If the flatmate had his own computer, then she wouldn't have a moral standpoint, but as it is hers she does. If the flatmate doesn't like it, then he could just refuse to stump up any cash for BB.

I think spying on one's own computer is pretty all right.

Anyway, look in the temp internet files - if you select 'Show all Files and Folders' from the view settings, you'll get to some folders with alphanumeric names which have more temp internet files in them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…