Free Firewall

thumbscrew 03 May 12

I'm clinging on to XP, it suits my needs, does all I want and I'll keep it as long as I can. I've always used the Windows firewall but I'm thinking of installing one of the freebies. Can anyone who uses them point me towards what they consider the best?

rawprawn 03 May 12
  thumbscrew 03 May 12

Thank you rawprawn,the Windows firewall never bothers me, how much work does Zone Alarm need?

john bunyan 03 May 12

When I had XP, I found PCTools firewall very good. I remember a little issue with Zone Alarm clashing with AVG (if you use it as an a/v) but maybe things are OK now.

thumbscrew 03 May 12

Thanks john, I've got Avast.

john bunyan 03 May 12

Then either ZA or PCTools should be OK. I think the latter had a slightly better review, but I am a bit out of date. May be worth having a look at recent reviews of both.Now I am on W7 I use the W7 firewall.

thumbscrew 03 May 12

Thanks again, checking the reviews now.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 03 May 12

XP firewall is only one way

therefore you need a better one

ZA is good but gave me problems when trying to network now have sygate which is no longer available.

Latter versions of ZA will be OK

thumbscrew 03 May 12

Phew, thumbs up System Restore!! Downloaded Zone Alarm, seemed ok and was told to restart. On boot up I was faced with my usual Windows screen minus all my programs. Not the dreaded BSOD, but nothing at all there. I couldn't uninstall the damn thing because there was nothing there to click on. I couldn't even turn off without holding the button in! I started in Safe Mode but my Revo uninstaller wouldn't work. Fearing the worst I began System Restore and that seems to have got everything back...I've no idea what Zone Alarm did or why, but I'm back on Windows firewall now for good. If anyone knows what went wrong I'd be keen to find out.

john bunyan 05 May 12

Have a look here, as well

another ZA problem

Batch 05 May 12

I'm using ZA 7.0.483.000 with WinXP and Avast on 3 PCs, no probs at all and passes all the GRC Shields Up tests (see Gibson Research.

ZA asks every time a new or changed program wants Internet or local network access (which is how I like it).

Other thing with ZA is that you need to set up (under Firewall settings) your local net address range (e.g. 192.168.0.0 through 192.168.255.255) as trusted and also loopback adapter IP (127.0.0.1) if you use that, other wise may have network probs.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Why Formula-e needs to go faster

How Instagram spots trends

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message