Free file compression tool

StellaArtois63 23:01 21 Nov 04

I would like to know if anybody knows of a good file compression utility that is free. I really dont want to pay $30 for Winzip, something I will not use that much, so I would apreciate some easy to use and free ideas.I use windows xp home, Many thanks Ade

VoG II 23:04 21 Nov 04

Yep, Windows XP

To compress a file or folder on an NTFS drive
Open My Computer.

Double-click a drive or folder.

Right-click the file or folder you want to compress, and then click Properties.

On the General tab, click Advanced.

Select the Compress contents to save disk space check box, and then click OK.

In the Properties dialog box, click OK.

In Confirm Attribute Changes, select the option you want.

Notes

To open My Computer, click Start, and then click My Computer.

You can only use NTFS compression for files and folders on drives formatted as NTFS. If the Advanced button does not appear, the file or folder you selected is not on an NTFS drive.
If you move or copy a file into a compressed folder, it is compressed automatically. If you move a file from a different NTFS drive into a compressed folder, it is also compressed. However, if you move a file from the same NTFS drive into a compressed folder, the file retains its original state, either compressed or uncompressed.
Files and folders that are compressed using NTFS compression cannot be encrypted.
You can choose to display NTFS-compressed files in a different color. For more information, click Related Topics.

StellaArtois63 23:12 21 Nov 04

Thanks for a quick reply VoG but I was thinking along the lines of compressing files for sending in emails, for example when I want to bore my friends with my holiday snaps.

TomJerry 23:16 21 Nov 04

in XP, Exploer, highlight all files you want to compress together, right click select "Send to Compressed Folder", then you compress all files together in zip format. To uncompress in XP, just double click it and follow instruction

TomJerry 23:20 21 Nov 04

Free: 7-zip click here

InfoZip click here

A43 click here

VoG II 23:37 21 Nov 04

As my advice is no longer required I'll just merge into the background. I'm sorry if I've wasted your time folks.

StellaArtois63 08:38 22 Nov 04

Thanks for your help lads its much appreciated. VoG I am sure with my computor skills and your knowledge you will be able to sort out my next problem out , thanks again Ade

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…