Free encryption software for 4GB USB Pen Drive

Wreckless Deleter 17:49 29 Jul 05

I have bought a Sony Micro vault 4GB usb pen drive.

Can any one recomend some free software that I can use to password protect the access to the files that I want to store on it.

I have had a look on the web for an afternoon but all the free software that I can find only allows you to password protect an area upto 25 MB.

If you want to protect a larger area it seems that an upgrade subsciption is required.

I deally I would like to password protect all 4GB of the drive, but 2.5GB would keep me going for a while.

Thanks

W.D.

Jackcoms 19:07 29 Jul 05

If you'd bought a Kensington pen drive they come with password protection software as standard. ;-(

Wreckless Deleter 21:00 29 Jul 05

I`ve got a 1GB Kingston pen drive and that also has password protected file access. However the folder of work that I`d like to carry around is now just a bit over 2GB.

I was quite correctly told before I bought the 4GB one that it did not come with software, but that software could be down loaded for free......I guess I should have enquired a bit more, and I would have found out the limited size of drive space protected by the free software......

At my age I should know better ;-(

W.D.

Jackcoms 21:39 29 Jul 05

Just did a bit of Googling and found click here

Is this what you're after?

Wreckless Deleter 22:00 29 Jul 05

That is one of the freeware programs I tried earlier on today..... 25MB of encryption is free, 2.5GB costs $30 and 25GB costs $45.

So if I went for the $45 option that is about £27, the pen drive was £70 delivered, so total would be £97.....

As I said..... at my age I should have known better ;-{

Thanks for looking though!

W.D.

Wreckless Deleter 15:38 30 Jul 05

I am still looking....

I found some cheaper shareware £18 but it does not seem to be able to be based on the pendrive.... which means that I wont be able to open the files on the pen drive unless the computer I am using to access them has this shareware on it.........

It looks like the $45 one is going to win the day.....

But this time before I buy it I will try it out at 25MB for a day or so to make sure I can work with it......

W.D.

powerless 15:44 30 Jul 05

click here

Just take a look, I don't know that much about it although ive known about it for months.

Stuartli 16:19 30 Jul 05
  Stuartli 16:30 30 Jul 05
  Wreckless Deleter 12:56 06 Aug 05

I have had a look at all the links...

On paper the truecrypt one seemed to be the best, but I am afraid my lack of knowledge let me down on this one for setting up on a USB pendrive.... finger trouble on my part I am sure.

I went for Cryptainer in the end. Although I had to pay to increase the size of the encrypted drive from 25MB to 25GB, it was simple enough to set up and use that even I could do it. Also my other half was giving me an ear bashing for spending too long "messing around on the computer", trying out encryption software.

Thanks again!

W.D.

;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…