Free dvd playback software trial

exdragon 15:00 15 Oct 04

Hi - can anyone recommend a trial dvd programme?

Since I moved to XP home edition from 98, I can't get any sound out of the centre speaker of my Creative Soundblaster 5.1 DTT2200 set up. I normally use Power DVD for playback.

Creative have been very helpful and have sent me 10 emails so far: I've downloaded a 23MB upgrade, have downloaded a patch for Power dvd, have run every speaker check I can find and have sound from all 5 speakers. I've checked all connections, plugs, wires etc but still just get a slight hiss from the centre one. I've given them all the numbers from the soundcard and they say it should work.

Creative had suggested that I try different software for the dvd bit, but even CDs produce no centre sound. It all seems odd when it worked before the change: I know the plugs are in the right place in the back because I took a photo of the set up!

Does anyone else have any suggestions, please? It goes without saying that I've uninstalled/reinstalled both the Power DVD & Creative software.

Diodorus Siculus 16:07 15 Oct 04

click here for one; it needs the codecs from PowerDVD though.

exdragon 16:49 15 Oct 04

Thanks, Diodorus Siculus - err, what does this mean - it needs the codecs from PowerDVD though? And how do I know if I've got Directx8? Bit of a novice as far as this is concerned.

Diodorus Siculus 17:23 15 Oct 04

Direct X 8:

start, run

type:

dxdiag

and it will launch a program to tell you.

The codecs are the decoders for playing video; seems you have PowerDVD installed, the codecs will have gone in with it so you need not worry about that.

exdragon 17:36 15 Oct 04

Thanks - I did and I have. I'll give it a go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…